3-year-old dies at day care while napping, police investigating mysterious circumstances

Aby Rivas
Dec 18, 2018
12:15 P.M.
Share this pen

A family from Chicago is heartbroken after the sudden death of their 3-year-old daughter. The little girl lay down to take a nap at her daycare and didn’t wake up.


Police are investigating the mystery surrounding the death of little Isabella Hagenlocher at Grace Lutheran Church and School daycare. The toddler lay down to nap with the rest of the kids at 11:30 am on what was supposed to be an hour-long nap. However, after 80 minutes passed, the teachers tried to wake Isabella, but she was unresponsive.


According to Rev. A. David Anglada, the school’s pastor, the school’s nurse gave CPR to the little girl while paramedics arrived at the place. First responders tubed the girl and took her to New York University’s Winthrop Hospital in Mineola. There, Isabella was put on life support and declared brain dead.

The family disconnected her three days later.


According to her family, Isabella was a happy, vibrant girl with no medical issues. They are seeking answers on the loss of their baby girl and are said to be utterly devastated.

A spokesperson for the family told NBC that a first brain scan of Isabella revealed the girl had spent 25 minutes without oxygen, but the cause is still unknown. The family chose to have an autopsy to get some answers, hopefully. No update has been giving about the results.


Parents picking up children from the daycare said the reverend told them to pray for Isabella. “My heart goes out to them," said parent Anthony Mastrande. "This is horrible."

A spokesperson told NBC that the Grace Lutheran daycare is not licensed by the New York State Office of Children and Family Services because OCFS licensing is not required by state law for nursery schools caring for children ages 3 or older.


The family said they were looking forward to spending the holidays with Isabella and her sisters, and now, they were left to plan her funeral.


Andrey Bolily, from Tyumen, in south-central Russia, died at just four years old after being in a coma for six months.

The boy was walking with friends and nursery workers when he picked up a balloon and swallowed it. The balloon blocked his windpipe, causing the boy to choke and pass out at the nursery. However, the devasted father, Valentin Bolily, said the nurse did nothing to help his boy. He said:


"She fetched some smelling salts. She said it was not anything serious, but our boy was clinically dead. Paramedics managed to start his heart, but he was already in a coma by then."

Source: Pixabay


Doctors removed the balloon at the hospital, but the boy never regained his consciousness.

Lyudmila Kochurina, the head nursery teacher, blamed the parents for the dead of the boy, alleging they didn't teach the boy not to put things in his mouth. She said: "He was constantly putting things in his mouth, he hid from the teachers. I do not see any wrongdoing from my side."

An investigation was opened to look into the nursery.