logo

Terrifying moment family’s dog accidentally started kitchen fire after turning on the stove (video)

Aby Rivas
Nov 13, 2018
11:26 P.M.

Footage from a surveillance camera inside a home in Detroit shows the terrifying moment a dog accidentally turns on the stove, starting a kitchen fire that could have ended in tragedy for the four-legged and it’s owner’s house.

Advertisement

Source: YouTube/Inside Edition

Source: YouTube/Inside Edition

We’ve all heard of “child-proofing” our houses, but pet owner might want to start “pet-proofing” their houses to avoid any accident that might affect their beloved furry friends and their belongings. At least this dad of two dogs from Detroit must consider it.

Matthew Ruffino shared footage that shows the moment in which his German shepherd, Dahlia, jumps on the kitchen, probably searching for food, and accidentally switched on the gas burner, starting a fire on the stove.

Source: YouTube/Inside Edition

Source: YouTube/Inside Edition

A second dog, Hendrix, watches from the corner as a case of soda on top of the stove catches fire. The frightened animals cower on the other side of the kitchen, and soon, a soda can explodes, causing a massive blast that puts the dog on alert.

Advertisement

As a second can explodes and sprays soda all over the place, Dahlia can be seen trying to escape from the scene. According to Inside Edition, the pets were able to leave the kitchen through one of the gates and luckily, the fire ceased before causing bigger damage.

Source: YouTube/Inside Edition

Source: YouTube/Inside Edition

After Ruffino found the mess and checked the security footage, he couldn’t believe what had happened and how dangerous it was.

"I've never known of a dog being able to start a stove like that," he told Inside Edition. "So after actually seeing her nose turn it on, I was blown away. I've never seen anything like that before."

Source: YouTube/Inside Edition

Source: YouTube/Inside Edition

Advertisement

Unfortunately, Dahlia is not the first dog that starts a kitchen fire unintentionally. According to reports from the National Fire Protection Association, about 1,000 fires are started by pets each year.

Veterinarian Dr. Jeff Werber suggests pet owners install safety knob covers on the stove or remove the knobs completely while being away from home.

Source: YouTube/Inside Edition

Source: YouTube/Inside Edition

Lisa Peterson, from the American Kennel Club, states:

“Simple preventative measures, such as flameless candles and stove knob covers, can mean the difference between life and death for your four-legged friends. Planning for unexpected emergencies like home fires and taking these precautions are an integral part of responsible pet ownership.”

Advertisement

Making sure your pet is safe even when they’re alone is your responsibility. The AKC also suggests leaving pets in areas where they’re not likely to start a fire and to keep them near doors of windows in case firefighters have to save from another fire source.

Advertisement
info
Please fill in your e-mail so we can share with you our top stories!
By subscribing, you agree to our Privacy Policy
Advertisement
Related posts

Tori Spelling & Her 5 Kids Finally Find Their New Home after Living in RV for Months – Report

May 01, 2024

Fearless Mom Fights Alleged Kidnapper to Save Her Daughter

March 26, 2024

This Future Star Lived in House with Fungus & Cleaned Toilets — People Stunned by Pics of Her Modest Apartment Now

April 24, 2024

A Rude Guy Purposely Bumps into a Pregnant Woman in Line – She Destroys Him in the Moment

April 29, 2024

Dolly Parton, 78, Dons Tight Pink Outfit as She Transforms into a 'Cake Sales Woman,' Igniting Talks

April 19, 2024

Elderly Couple Is Led by a Cat to a Black Bag, Sees a Tiny Hand Hanging from Inside — Story of the Day

February 02, 2024

I Found a Strange Ring in My Husband’s Car That Turned My Life Upside Down

April 30, 2024

My Kid Can’t Stop Shaking after Spending a Few Hours with Old Neighbor — Story of the Day

March 06, 2024

Two Years after Son Dies, Mom Hears Someone Knocking on Door Saying, "Mom, It's Me" — Story of the Day

February 19, 2024

Man Spends All Time with Bedridden Wife, She Vanishes as He Leaves House One Day – Story of the Day

March 07, 2024

Riley Strain Disappeared after Going out with Friends on March 8 – His Devastated Mom Speaks Out as Massive Search Continues

March 21, 2024

68-Year-Old Grandmother Passes Away in Front of Grandson – She Warned People about Potential Danger

February 22, 2024

Final Chilling Words of Pilot before Air France Jet Crashed in the Sea Killing 228 People Disclosed

April 23, 2024

My Stepson Cut Me Out of His Life – Now He Demands That I Sacrifice My Life for Him

March 22, 2024