Getty images
Source: Getty images

NBA Hall of Famer Patrick Ewing Is Getting Better after Being Hospitalized with COVID-19

Joe Akins
May 27, 2020
02:00 P.M.
Share this pen

Fans of NBA legend Patrick Ewing got a scare after he tested positive for the novel coronavirus last week. However, his family has confirmed that he's doing just fine.


Patrick's son, Patrick Ewing Jr., published a statement on behalf of the family on Twitter yesterday. In it, he confirmed that his father was doing quite well and was now recuperating at home. 

Patrick now coaches for Georgetown University – his alma mater, and where his basketball journey began. He has been there for almost four years now, after working as a coaching staff member in the NBA for a while. 

Head Coach Patrick Ewing from Georgetown University during a game between Butler and Georgetown at Capital One Arena on January 28, 2020 | Photo:Getty Images


Recently, however, he announced on Twitter that he had contracted the virus. The tweet contained a statement from his employers that confirmed his diagnosis. 

While he could have chosen to keep the diagnosis a secret, Patrick reportedly elected to disclose it publicly. At the time, the statement read:

"This virus is serious and should not be taken lightly. I want to encourage everyone to stay safe and take care of yourselves and your loved ones."


He put everyone's mind at ease, asserting that he would be fine and get through the ordeal. The statement also confirmed that he was under self-isolation at a nearby healthcare center. 

At the same time, Georgetown stressed that Ewing's was an isolated case. No other player or staff from the squad has tested positive for the virus. 

The family will continue to monitor the 57-year-old to ensure that he makes a full recovery.


As Patrick Jr. explained in yesterday's post, his father has now gotten much better. He has also gotten the green light to leave the healthcare center. 

Patrick Jr. also shared his appreciation for the professionals who attended to his father. He added that, the family will continue to monitor the 57-year-old to ensure that he makes a full recovery.


For now, they're grateful that he's been able to begin on the path to recovery. It won't be possible to discover how he contacted the virus. It's worth noting that Washington D.C.'s novel coronavirus cases are reportedly surging.

As of Monday, the region has over 8,000 confirmed cases, while the death toll has crossed 400. New York continues to lead the country, however. Cases there have crossed 360,000, and the death toll is north of 23,000.


We at do our best to give you the most updated news regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, but the situation is constantly changing. We encourage readers to refer to the online updates from CDС, WHO, or Local Health Departments to stay updated.Take care!