logo
Facebook/Pray for Reese Hamsmith
Facebook/Pray for Reese Hamsmith

Mother Shares Story of Daughter Who Died after Swallowing Button Battery to Warn Other Parents

Gaone Pule
Mar 02, 2021
01:20 P.M.
Share this pen
FacebookFacebookTwitterTwitterLinkedInLinkedInEmailEmail

Trista Hamsmith from Lubbock, Texas, shared a story of how her daughter lost her life after swallowing a button battery to raise awareness.

Advertisement

When Trista Hamsmith's daughter, Reese, started wheezing last October, she rushed to the pediatrician. The doctor reportedly suspected croup, so the pair went back home. But the relief was only temporary.

Trista noticed a button battery missing from a remote control, and decided to take Reese to the local emergency room. Results showed that the 17-month-old swallowed the battery, which caused a hole in her esophagus.

Advertisement

"Once the battery is ingested, it starts to erode, and it starts to burn. Button battery ingestion is so much more common than people realize," she explained.

Sadly, Reese never recovered from the incident. She passed away on December 17, 2020. The 39-year-old mom shared that after losing her daughter, she wanted to act by warning other parents.

Advertisement

“This story needs to be told,” she said. It didn’t have to happen,” Hamsmith added. According to her, her daughter was a little star who commanded every room she was in.

"It's almost like she demanded applause," her mother said. "I'm not even kidding – she captivated the room," she added. It was one reason why she became weary when Reese became sluggish, congested, and wheezy.

When they arrived at the emergency room, the doctors did an X-ray and confirmed that the button was in there. They then performed emergency surgery to remove it.

Advertisement

Following little Reese's death, her mom reportedly wrote on Facebook expressing her devastation after losing her, so, unfortunately. "We were a family member short," she wrote.

Hamsmith said that it is tragic that she would never be able to express herself. "I'll never forget looking out that window on a plane knowing my baby wasn't with me," she divulged. She described her baby girl as a spunky, outgoing, and sassy toddler.

Advertisement

Reese was moved from UMC to the Texas Children's in Houston, where she died that morning. Her mom is a hairstylist, and her dad, Chris, owns and operates Hamsmith Motor Company.

The parents reportedly set up and GoFundMe to assist with travel and medical expenses. At the time, funeral and visitation arrangements were not disclosed.

Advertisement

Pediatrician Jason Sherman listed some preventative measures to avoid kids having to swallow almost anything they find at their disposal. Dr. Sherman advised parents to keep away any hazardous things from young children.

Delicate items, gums, modeling clay small toy pieces reportedly usually make their way out. However, parents are advised to contact a doctor if they notice symptoms involving coughing, drooling, chest pain, gagging, trouble swallowing, and stomach pain.

Dangerous items include lithium and alkaline batteries, magnets, and coins. They all need a doctor's immediate attention and consist of similar symptoms mentioned above.

Advertisement
info
Please fill in your e-mail so we can share with you our top stories!
By subscribing, you agree to our Privacy Policy
Advertisement
info

The information in this article is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, and images contained on news.AmoMama.com, or available through news.AmoMama.com is for general information purposes only. news.AmoMama.com does not take responsibility for any action taken as a result of reading this article. Before undertaking any course of treatment please consult with your healthcare provider.

Related posts

Days after Mother's Death, Woman Finds a Tiny Door behind the Wardrobe in Her Old House — Story of the Day

February 12, 2022

Adoptive Parents Wait for Their Daughter's Birth, See Her Face and Run Away from the Hospital

May 16, 2022

Woman Follows Little Girl Who Begs Strangers to Buy Her Last Pair of Boots near the Church — Story of the Day

January 31, 2022

Poor Lady Mourns Daughter at Place She Last Saw Her, One Day Girl’s Carbon Copy Shows up There — Story of the Day

May 13, 2022

Girl Grabs Dirty Man’s Hand to Help Him Climb Stairs, Her Sick Mom Gets $530K for Surgery as Reward — Story of the Day

May 10, 2022

Little Girl Grabs Dirty Homeless Man’s Hand and Takes Him to Her House — Story of the Day

March 29, 2022

On Valentine’s Day, Old Lady Who Barely Recognizes Her Kids Meets Man She Lost 56 Years Ago — Story of the Day

February 15, 2022

Stepson Mocked by Adoptive Parents & Their Children Finds Letters They Hid from Him – Story of the Day

March 12, 2022

Woman Visits Orphanage She Left 16 Years Ago and Sees a Girl Who Is Her Carbon Copy There — Story of the Day

January 29, 2022

Sons Learn Their Old Mom Gave Her $3.7M Mansion to Young Man Who Isn’t Her Child — Story of the Day

February 18, 2022

20 Years after Newborn Daughter’s Death, Man Hears, ‘Dad, I Finally Found You’ – Story of the Day

March 05, 2022

Little Girl Cries All Alone in Her House after Mom Fails to Return from the Grocery Store — Story of the Day

February 03, 2022

Doctors Claim Boy Only Has a Concussion, Mom's Instinct Leads to Another Examination That Helps Save His Life

May 06, 2022

Mom Meets Son at Cemetery and Asks Why He Was There, 'I Don't Know Who You Are,' He Answers – Story of the Day

February 21, 2022