logo
Getty Images
Source: Getty Images

Harry & Meghan's Docu-Series 'in Jeopardy' after Royal Pic 'Veto' at Queen's Jubilee, Says Journalist

Olawale Ogunjimi
Jun 20, 2022
03:00 P.M.
Share this pen
FacebookFacebookTwitterTwitterLinkedInLinkedInEmailEmail

What the future holds for Prince Harry and Duchess Megan Markle after denouncing the royal duties is a big start in Hollywood, but the couple is experiencing some glitches presently.

Advertisement

Following Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's exit from the royal household, they have witnessed a different course in their lives. The couple moved to the high-row area of Montecito, and now they have an "unquantifiable" deal with Netflix.

Harry and Markle's decampment from the royal family and duties had them requesting to make their income independently, and so far, it is safe to say they have had little progress in that field.

A Union Jack flag and a photo of Harry and Meghan sits on TV camera during the wedding of Prince Harry Harry to Ms. Meghan Markle St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle on May 19, 2018 in Windsor, England. | Source: Getty Images

Advertisement

They have since founded a production company yet to be named and bagged a multi-year deal with Netflix to make film projects. Their productions will include documentaries, scripted shows, children's shows, and docu-series.

Speaking on the development, Netflix's co-chief executive, Ted Sarnados, stated that the network was proud of bagging a deal with the royals to tell compelling stories of "resilience" and better understanding for fans.

Prince Harrye, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex visit the Tembisa Township to learn about Youth Employment Services on October 02, 2019 in Tembisa, South Africa. | Source: Getty Images

Advertisement

Although there were no comments from Netflix concerning the value of pay that Markle and Harry were offered, and agreed upon, Intertalent Right Group chairman Jonathan Stalit revealed:

"The value of this signing to Netflix is unquantifiable. Never before has a real-life royal of this magnitude gone commercial and to Hollywood."

PRINCE HARRY AND MARKLE ARE REPORTEDLY GATHERING FOOTAGE

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (accompanied by a film crew) meet athletes and their supporters at the athletics competition on day 2 of the Invictus Games 2020 at Zuiderpark on April 17, 2022 in The Hague, Netherlands. | Source: Getty Images

Advertisement

Following Harry and Markle's series of deals, the couple has been spotted with hidden cameras as they are purported to be gathering footage for their series of productions.

Last year, Page Six reported that during the couple's NYC visit, they had their own videographer and photographer, Matt Sayles.

Harry was also spotted and filmed during his and Markle's visit to Harlem soul food eatery Melba. While different snaps were taken of the couple, the wire connecting to Harry's microphone was visible as he hugged the restaurant owner.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex meet a competitor from the Netherlands and his dog at the Invictus Games athletics events in the Athletics Park, at Zuiderpark the Hague, Netherlands. Picture date: Sunday April 17, 2022. | Source: Getty Images

Advertisement

Sources revealed that the Sussex royals were collecting footage for the archive of their Archwell production company. Royal biographer Angela Levin weighed in on the couple's deals claiming that Harry did not want to travel with the Netflix cameras.

In line with how the Prince and his wife are collating data for their tell-alls and documentaries, Harry reportedly plans to release a memoir in late 2022.

The Duke of Sussex was said to be secretly writing the memoir in collaboration with an award-winning ghostwriter, JR Moeringher. He also appears to have sold it to Penguin Random House.

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex talk to members of Team United Kingdom during the Jaguar Land Rover Driving Challenge on day one of the Invictus Games The Hague 2020 at Zuiderpark on April 16, 2022 in The Hague, Netherlands. | Source: Getty Images

Advertisement

More reports pointed out that the memoir launch will likely tie with the release of an in-home documentary of Harry and Markle.

The project plans to display the couple's life at their home in Montecito. There is also another documentary focused on the Invictus Game titled "Heart of Invictus."

HARRY AND MEGHAN AT THE PLATINUM JUBILEE

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex attend the National Service of Thanksgiving at St Paul's Cathedral on June 03, 2022 | Photo: Getty Images

Advertisement

Ahead of their attendance at the platinum jubilee, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were in the news regarding the fate of their Netflix documentary. It was revealed that the duo would most likely not get footage at the event.

This was in line with their Sandringham agreement when they dropped royal duties in 2020. The former 'Suits' star and her husband were banned from bringing in cameras.

According to DailyMail, Buckingham Palace plans to prevent Harry and Markle from bringing in cameras or filming. The duo was prohibited from the palace balcony greetings, but they still played a significant role at the event.

Britain's Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex react as they leave after their visit to Canada House in thanks for the warm Canadian hospitality and support they received during their recent stay in Canada, in London on January 7, 2020. | Source: Getty Images

Advertisement

An insider stated that even if the Royal administration allowed Harry to bring in cameras, the film crew wouldn't be allowed to film at Buckingham because it may lead to a significant distraction.

More reports garnered during the celebration of Queen Elizabeth's 70th year on the throne showed that the Sussexes were not allowed to take photos with the Queen through a private photographer. Levin stated:

"They asked if they could bring a private cameraman to take pictures of them and the Queen said 'absolutely not'."

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex attend the National Service of Thanksgiving at St Paul's Cathedral on June 03, 2022 | Photo: Getty Images

Advertisement

The royal expert further shared that the monarch disagreed when the request was made, as she affirmed that it was a private event and not for the public. She stated:

"A picture of the Queen and her great-granddaughter with the same names would have earned them a lot of money on Netflix."

Levin speculated that the inability of Markle and Harry to get photos with the Queen would have displeased Netflix. She shared that the Palace was clever not to have granted photos with the senior royals.

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex react as they watch the Land Rover Driving Challenge, on day 1 of the Invictus Games 2020 at Zuiderpark on April 16, 2022 in The Hague, Netherlands. | Source: Getty Images

Advertisement

Royal author Cele Otnes shared that Harry and Markle's low-key attendance at the platinum jubilee was not in favor of Netflix. She added that the Palace seems cautious of their interactions with the Sussexes.

Investigative journalist Tom Bower also weighed in on the developments sharing that the prohibition of photos or filming must have upset Markle. The media personality who is working on a biography of Markle stated:

"Meghan must have been furious when she heard that photographs… were forbidden. The Palace is playing a good hand."

THE SUSSEX LEFT BEFORE THE JUBILEE CELEBRATION ENDED

Advertisement

rince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex attend the Mountbatten Festival of Music at Royal Albert Hall on March 07, 2020 in London, England. | Source: Getty Images

Levin also shared her opinion on how Markle and Harry chose to leave the jubilee funfair ahead of its completion. She described the couple as "petulant teenagers." Levin shared:

Advertisement

"They were like petulant teenagers really… if they didn't get what they wanted, they would leave."

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announce their engagement at Kensington Palace on November 27, 2017, in London, England | Photo: Getty Images

Advertisement

Bower stated that the action of having Harry and Markle's seat second-row at the jubilee is likely to displease Netflix. She revealed that the couple's deal with the streamer is likely jeopardized. In her words:

"The Sussexes' contract with Netflix is in jeopardy. The veto of photos will fuel the Sussexes' resentment."

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry attend the Festival of Remembrance in London, England on November 9, 2019 | Photo: Getty Images

Advertisement

Royal author Andrew Morton opined that there was a slim chance that Harry and Markle were filing an in-home documentary. According to him, this was against the duo's clamor for privacy.

From her standpoint, Otnes suggested that Harry and Markle could redeem the jeopardized deal by providing Netflix with previously unseen footage. According to her, this would be smart because the public was already privy to their lives.

Advertisement
Advertisement