Cold case murder solved after 32 years when killer with guilty conscience hands himself in

Manuela Cardiga
Jul 12, 2018
08:53 P.M.
Share this pen

The remorseful killer confesses to an unsolved murder after 32 years


In 1986 Russel Haines was murdered, strangled to death in the men-only low-income housing  Oregon Way Hotel in Longview, Washington.

The investigators followed all leads but came up empty, explained Sgt. Chris Blanchard and Haines became just another cold case.

Then, in a dramatic turn-about, Glenn Adams, 58, walked into the Cowlitz County Hall of Justice on Friday the 6th of July 2018,  and confessed to Russell Haines' murder, reported


“We didn't have any suspects that had sufficient evidence to charge at that point. The case was cold for the last 30-plus years,”

Sgt. Chris Blanchard, Katu.com6th of July 2018 .

The first inkling of a solution for the case came in July 2017. Adams went to the police in Santa Barbara, California to turn himself in for killing Haines, but he lost his nerve and left before the detectives could interview him.

This incident led the Longview Police Department to reopened the case and began reviewing evidence again.

Read more about self-confessed killer Glenn Adams on our Twitter account @amomama_usa.


Investigators from the  Longview Police Department interviewed Adams in September 2017 while he was incarcerated in the Klamath County Jail on an unrelated matter.

Even though Adams told them some specific details about the Haines murder, the investigators didn’t have enough to charge Adams with the crime, even though he gave them DNA.

Blanchard explained that Adams hadn't been ready to make a full confession at that time, that he had wanted to consult his brother before making a decision.


Adams revealed that he had been living at the Oregon Way Hotel, and had been in need of money. He knew Haines kept large amounts of cash on him, so he waited until the man got home from the grocery store. When Haines arrived, Adams put him in a chokehold, knocking him out. Adams then stole $400, but when Haines regained consciousness, Adams strangled him.

Adams was booked into the Cowlitz County Jail on the 7th of July 2018 and has been charged with first-degree murder and robbery.

Adam's explanation for his belated confession was that "I wanted to make things right."