Horrifying moment live worms crawl out of fish bought from a popular supermarket

Jaimie-lee Prince
Sep 10, 2018
12:17 P.M.
Share this pen

Louis Yssel was left nauseated when he saw one and a half-inch worms crawling out of fish he purchased from a Tesco Supermarket. A video of the worms in the food was uploaded to Youtube.


Yssel, 32, and his partner Christopher Jones, 33, bought the monkfish along with other grocery items from Woodfield Plantation store on August 26.

They left the Tesco store in Doncaster, North Yorkshire and Yssel started preparing it to eat just a few hours later.

The Bawtry resident added "lemon juice and some Lebanese spices and popped it in the fridge for an hour," SWNS TV reported.

Follow us on Twitter for more @amomama_usa.


According to Doncaster, Yssel said that "it must only have been a few hours between buying it and using it." When they removed the fish from the fridge to cook curry, that's when they saw the repulsive sight.

"It was shocking - pretty disgusting stuff. They were crawling out of the fish right in front of us." He continued, "A few minutes later and they would have been in the pan without us noticing."

To make things worse, Yssel and his firefighter boyfriend had already tasted a part of the fish.

"I had already cooked the bone from the fish to make a stock and we'd been tasting it as it went along, so we felt pretty sick knowing that we'd already eaten some of it."


The horrified couple got in touch with Tesco but said they "received a half-hearted apology and the staff didn't appear to know what they were doing."

They were initially offered a refund of the cost of the fish, £7.50 and a £10 vouch. But when Yssel refused, they got a full refund for the total amount of items they purchased that day.

They were told the supermarket would investigate the incident. Yssel and Jones are now more insistent on this after learning about the health risks of eating the worms.


The worms are suspected to be anisakis worms which burrow through intestinal walls and subsequently die since they are unable to penetrate it.

Found in raw and uncooked fish, they can cause painful stomach cramps and vomiting and may require surgery for removal.

Yssel is right to ask, "What if a child had eaten it?"

After the appalling occurrence, Yssel explained that they had lost their appetite that night "because [they] felt sick to be honest."

"It has put us off having fish and also shopping at Tesco again."

No official statement from Tesco has been released to the public.

Please fill in your e-mail so we can share with you our top stories!
By subscribing, you agree to our Privacy Policy
Related posts

Poor Boy Pays for Old Lady's Groceries, His Granny Gets $230k to Pay for Treatment Days Later – Story of the Day

February 02, 2022

Lauren Graham Tended to Avoid Handsome-Actor Types until She Fell in Love with Peter Krause

March 15, 2022

After Millionaire Husband’s Death, Old Widow Is Forced to Live In Dirty Old Trailer – Story of the Day

May 22, 2022

Every Day Old Lady Sees Lonely Triplets Playing All Day Long on the Beach and Follows Them — Story of the Day

February 04, 2022