logo

Toddler chokes to death while shopping, now parents urge others to learn CPR

Rebelander Basilan
Sep 18, 2018
05:24 P.M.
Share this pen
FacebookFacebookTwitterTwitterLinkedInLinkedInEmailEmail

Emma Carver wanted other parents to learn from her experience after her child choked to death while they were shopping at a grocery store.

Advertisement

It was too late when Emma noticed that her two-year-old son Ayyan Umar was choked on grapes which she had placed on the shopping cart, as reported by WXYZ.

The incident took place in Metro Detroit in August 2017. Follow us on our Twitter account, @amomama_usa, to learn more and scroll down to watch the video below.

Little Ayyan was sitting in the cart while Emma was looking at cheese products. He began eating the grapes in the cart with him, without Emma noticing.

Source: YouTube/WXYZ-TV Detroit | Channel 7

Source: YouTube/WXYZ-TV Detroit | Channel 7

Advertisement

Later, she heard the toddler making choking sounds. When she turned towards him, she saw the little boy struggling to breathe.

FUTILE ATTEMPT

“I even threw the cheese down and I started banging on him,” Emma recalled. She hit Ayyan’s back several times hoping to dislodge the grapes from his throat.

"But it wasn't getting it out, so it had to be lodged," she said.

Source: Freepik

Source: Freepik

Advertisement

A shopper came forward to administer CPR on the child while another called 911. Medics arrived six minutes later. They were able to remove one of the grapes, but it was too late to save little Ayyan.

Mohammad Umar, the child’s father, still could not believe that his boy was gone.

Advertisement

"I was feeling like maybe it was a bad dream, maybe somebody gonna wake me up. He sleeps on my chest. I see him everywhere,” he tearfully said.

Following their child’s death, Emma and Mohammad signed up for a first aid class. They also encouraged other parents to do the same, so they can save their child if a similar incident happened.

Advertisement

ANOTHER TRAGIC INCIDENT

This is not the only instance where a child died after their parents forgot to check on them.

In Long Island, an 11-year-old girl died after she was left alone inside a hot car with windows up.

Advertisement

The girl’s mother and her three other children were out running errands before they finally came home and went inside. It is not known for certain how much time it took for the mother to realize that the little girl was still inside the car in their driveway and not the house.

After realizing the tragedy, the mother quickly called 911. The authorities arrived on the scene and assisted the mother in giving the girl a CPR. But she had to be transported to Stony Brook Hospital, where she sadly died later.

Advertisement
info
Please fill in your e-mail so we can share with you our top stories!
By subscribing, you agree to our Privacy Policy
Advertisement
Related posts

Stepson Mocked by Adoptive Parents & Their Children Finds Letters They Hid from Him – Story of the Day

March 12, 2022

Boy Who Lost Faith after Parents' Death Goes to Church for Help for the First Time in Years – Story of the Day

January 26, 2022

Woman Follows 5-Year-Old Girl Who Takes Leftovers from Her Grocery Store Every Day — Story of the Day

March 27, 2022

Poor Lady Mourns Daughter at Place She Last Saw Her, One Day Girl’s Carbon Copy Shows up There — Story of the Day

May 13, 2022