logo
Source:

Mom's heartbreaking warning after daughter's fatal allergic reaction to cookies

Rebelander Basilan
Sep 18, 2018
10:49 P.M.
Share this pen
FacebookFacebookTwitterTwitterLinkedInLinkedInEmailEmail

Kelli Travers-Stafford took to social media recently to warn other parents after her daughter, who is allergic to peanut, passed away because of Chips Ahoy cookies.

Advertisement

In her Facebook post on July 13, the South Florida mother explained that her 15-year-old daughter, Alexi Ryann Stafford, died after mistaking a Chips Ahoy cookie with peanut butter for a regular cookie.

She is now calling for the company to make distinguishable packaging for foods with allergens. Follow us on our Twitter account, @amomama_usa, to learn more.

The tragic incident took place when Alexi Ryann was at her friend's house on June 25. Thinking it was safe for her to eat due to its packaging, she reached into an open package of chewy Reese's Chips Ahoy cookies.

Advertisement

Her mother, Kelli, wrote that Alexi Ryann began feeling "tingling in her mouth and came straight home."

They then administered two EpiPens while waiting for paramedics to come.

Advertisement

Alexi Ryann, however, immediately went into anaphylactic shock, stopped breathing and went unconscious.

Within one and a half hours of eating that one cookie, the 15-year-old passed away.

Advertisement

"As a mother who diligently taught her the ropes of what was okay to ingest and what was not, I feel lost and angry because she knew her limits and was aware of familiar packaging, she knew what 'safe' was," Kelli wrote.

She added, "A small added indication on the pulled back flap on a familiar red package wasn't enough to call out to her that there was 'peanut product' in the cookies before it was too late."

Advertisement

In response to user's demand, Chips Ahoy wrote, "We take allergens very seriously. Chewy Chips Ahoy! made w/ Reese's Peanut Butter Cups packaging clearly shows that it contains peanuts through words and visuals. Package color indicates Chewy, Chunky, or Original. Consumers should always read the label for allergy information."

Advertisement

According to Dr. Adriana Bonansea-Frances, who specializes in allergies and immunology, it's very important for individuals with allergies to be extra careful.

In another instance, Zayaan, 2, who is allergic to dairy, also suffered an anaphylactic shock after a Blackpool Pizza Hut store gave him the "wrong" pizza.

The little boy was rushed to a local hospital, where he was treated for two days. According to his father, Sajid Hussain, although his son was recovering, he was "quite himself" yet.

The family stated that the incident had been a traumatic experience for them and they would not want anyone else to endure what they had gone through.

Advertisement
info
Please fill in your e-mail so we can share with you our top stories!
By subscribing, you agree to our Privacy Policy
Advertisement
Related posts

Chip & Joanna Gaines’ Marriage Would Not Have Happened If Chip Did Not Take Her Ultimatum over His Trip Seriously

February 07, 2022

Woman Takes Bullet for Stranger’s Son, His Dad Attends Funeral and Meets 9 Crying Kids There — Story of the Day

March 23, 2022

Homeless Old Lady Takes Down 3 Thieves at Once after They Threaten Little Boy's Life — Story of the Day

January 25, 2022

Old Lonely Lady Receives Deliveries from Unknown Person Every Day, the Last Was a New Home – Story of the Day

February 28, 2022