A dog had his ear cut off while waiting for his owner outside of a store
Robin Ballantine is a dog lover and owner who lives in Northern Ireland. On September 21, he went by Tesco to get some groceries.
He left his dogs outside the supermarket safely tied up. However, during this trip, someone decided to cut off part of one of his dog’s ear.
Robin Ballantine, 55, went shopping at the Springhill branch of Tesco as always and thought nothing of it. However, when got home, he noticed a trail of blood around the house.
That’s when Ballantine realized that the tip of his Labrador, Cole’s ear was gone. The terrified dog had been whimpering and did not want anyone to stroke him.
For more on this story go to our Twitter account @amomama_usa. Ballantine took Cole to the vet the next day after cleaning up the wound as best as he could.
The vet said the injury was made with either a scissor or a blade because of how straight cut it was. She told the dog owner that another animal couldn’t have caused the injury.
Ballantine returned to the store and noticed blood in the area where Cole had been tied up. He shared about the dog’s wellbeing saying:
“He will be ok. Every now and again he shakes his head and lets out a little cry. And you have to be careful around his ears. I notice he backs away from people when he never did before. Cole is such a lovable dog and has always been very friendly, I just can’t understand this.”
The incident that took place between 5:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. on September 21 has been reported to the police. Ballantine shared that Cole was now a “nervous wreck.”
He couldn’t understand how the incident happened as he’d been leaving his dogs outside the store for years. The Tesco Springhill store’s community group held a collection for Cole and donated dog treats and money to help with vets bills.
It’s advised that you put a head bandage on your dog if it has a torn ear. The bandage will control the bleeding before you can take your pet to the vet.
Instructions on how to make a head bandage with items you have around the house or by using a first-aid kit are here.