Source:

Las Vegas slaughter survivors were in California bar during shooting

Manuela Cardiga
Nov 08, 2018
05:52 P.M.
Share this pen
FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmail

Las Vegas survivors were trapped inside the bar in Thousand Oaks, facing the terror of a gunman once again.

Advertisement

On October 1, 2017, a lone gunman opened fire on concertgoers at the Route 91 Harvest music festival on the Las Vegas Strip in Nevada. Stephen Paddock, 64, killed 58 people and 851 more were injured from gunfire and the resulting panic.

 A year later, at least two of the survivors of the Las Vagas massacre were inside the Borderline Bar in Thousand Oaks on November 8, 2018, when a gunman opened fire, reported LA Times.com.

Advertisement

“A lot of people in the Route 91 situation go here. There’s people that live a whole lifetime without seeing this, and then there’s people that have seen it twice.”

Chandler Gunn, LA Times.com, November 8, 2018.

Chandler Gunn, 23, ran for his phone when his mother told him a gunman was inside the Borderline Bar. He knew one of his friends was working there - someone who had survived the attack in Las Vegas in 2017.

He reached her, and she told him that tear gas had been thrown into the bar, and when she had heard gunshots she had run out through the back.

Advertisement
Advertisement

ANOTHER LAS VEGAS SURVIVOR WAS TRAPPED INSIDE THE BAR

Josh Coaly, 27, was standing outside the bar on the sidewalk, anxiously waiting to hear from his friend who was inside. Josh's friend was also in Las Vegas, and he was fortunate to walk away once again unhurt.

Advertisement

A POPULAR BAR FOR COUNTRY FANS TURNED INTO A CHARNEL HOUSE

The Borderline Bar in Thousand Oaks is a country-western dance bar, a popular hangout for students who love country music, but on the early morning of November 8, an evening of fun and music turned into a nightmare. 

Ian David Long, 28, walked into the bar and opened fire with a Glock 21 .45-caliber handgun.

Advertisement

VICTIMS REPORTS OF SMOKE BOMBS IS UNCONFIRMED

Long's murder spree would claim the lives of 12 people, and he fired an estimated 30 rounds into the crowded bar, wounding several more. Victims reported seeing obscuring smoke before the shooting started.

Advertisement

POLICE OFFICER SHOT BY LONG

Sgt. Ron Helus of the California Highway Patrol was one of the first officers to respond and was struck down by Long's hail of bullets. Helus died of his injuries after being transported to the Los Robles Regional Medical Center.

Advertisement

OFFICERS RESPONDED TO A DISTURBANCE AND WALKED INTO GUN-FIRE

The initial report had indicated a disturbance, but after Officer Helus was shot more officers were called to the scene, and found a dozen victims dead, and close to 20 more injured.

Advertisement

GUNMAN'S CAUSE OF DEATH UNKNOWN

Police found the gunman, dead inside the bar. His cause of death is still to be ascertained but Police believe he may have succumbed to a self-inflicted wound.

Advertisement

GUNMAN HAD A PREVIOUS ENCOUNTER WITH POLICE

According to Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean, deputies had been called to Long's home in April 2018. Reports indicate that he was "somewhat irate, acting a little irrationally." The deputies requested the help of mental-health specialists, who met with Long and decided to not detain him for evaluation or treatment,

WOUNDED VICTIMS STILL BEING TALLIED

At least eighteen people have reportedly sought treatment at local hospitals for minor injuries, and two were transported by ambulance. The investigation into the incident is ongoing, with regular updates from the Ventura County Sheriff's Department. 

Advertisement