Famous Democratic donor Ed Buck under investigation after another body found in his apartment
Another man died on Monday in the Los Angeles apartment of the Democratic fundraiser Ed Buck.
Paramedics responded to the call shortly after 1 am on Monday night where they found an unresponsive male at Ed Buck’s apartment in the 1200 block of Laurel Avenue. Attempts to resuscitate the man were unsuccessful and was pronounced dead at the scene.
The man’s identity has not been released, and authorities only described him as a black man in his 50s. This comes on the heels of the death of 26-year-old Gemelle Moore in the same apartment on July 29, 2017.
Because Ed was present during both deaths in his apartment, authorities decided to give Moore’s case another review. Initially, Ed got cleared of any involvement in the death of the 26-year-old gay escort Moore due to insufficient evidence, and cause of death got ruled as an accidental overdose of crystal methamphetamine.
Sheriff's Lt. Derrick Alfred said:
"It is suspicious that this has happened twice now, so we're going to conduct a thorough investigation to determine if it is criminal in nature."
Seymour Amster, Ed’s attorney, denied that Ed had any responsibility for either death and had not been named as a suspect or arrested.
#DEVELOPING: A 2nd death investigation in 2 years, at prominent #democratic #donor Ed Buck’s WeHo apartment. In 2017, Gemmel Moore was found dead of an overdose. This AM, LASD says another young black man died inside Buck’s place. Buck’s attorney says it was another OD. @ABC7 pic.twitter.com/BM8h254qxi— Veronica Miracle (@ABC7Veronica) January 8, 2019
On Monday Amster told reporters that the man found dead was a 25-year long friend of Ed’s and arrived at his apartment after he had already been partying, which included taking substances before he arrived.
Amster added that Ed was not with the deceased the whole time as he had taken a shower and had not taken any substances with the man.
JUST IN: A man was found dead Monday morning at the same West Hollywood apartment of prominent Democratic Party donor Edward Buck where another man died of an overdose about 18 months ago. Buck was present for both deaths, but has since not been charged. https://t.co/Lbv9ulXUFm— CBS Los Angeles (@CBSLA) January 7, 2019
In August 2017, Moore’s case got reopened after his mother and friends questioned whether Moore took the fatal dose of methamphetamine himself.
According to a notebook found in Moore’s possession, it indicated that he used drugs with someone and wrote about his crystal methamphetamine usage. However, the name got redacted in the coroner’s report.
A few years ago a gay Black man was found dead in the home of wealthy white political donor Ed Buck. They refused to prosecute him. Now today ANOTHER Black man has been found dead in his home. https://t.co/jWYajRcmWS via @ktla— Tariq Nasheed 🇺🇸 (@tariqnasheed) January 7, 2019
Activists are convinced there is more to the story and protested outside Ed’s apartment on Monday night. According to them, Ed targets young black men and demand that the district attorney’s office take action, as they call for his arrest.
Activist Jasmyne Cannick made their opinion clear when she said:
"It's clear that there's a pattern and a practice of Ed Buck to prey on vulnerable, young black gay men who are homeless, who are HIV positive, who he can manipulate with his money - and they end up dead inside his house.”
Dozens of people are chanting outside of political donor Ed Buck’s apartment, demanding his arrest. The 2nd death investigation is taking place here in less than 2 years. @ABC7 pic.twitter.com/rQSOVQRLS9— Veronica Miracle (@ABC7Veronica) January 8, 2019
During the protest, a vigil also got held for the man who died on Monday night. However, even the neighbors came under fire when they were accused of being complicit in the man’s death, which according to them could have been prevented.
Similarly, the case of the death of Natalie Wood, the famed screen siren, got reopened in 2011. The 43-year-old Natalie’s body was found on November 29, 1981, floating a mile away from the boat during a trip to Santa Catalina Island.
On board the 'Splendour' with Natalie was her husband Robert Wagner, Christopher Walken and the captain, Dennis Davern. The original report in 1981 stated that Natalie’s death was accidental by means of drowning and hypothermia.
However in February last year, a homicide detective at the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, Ralph Hernandez stated that Natalie’s bruises were consistent with being assaulted, and did not come from trying to get back on board after falling off as initially concluded.
“Today’s films are so technological that an actor becomes starved for roles that deal with human relationships.” On the 80th anniversary of her birth, the breathtaking Natalie Wood: pic.twitter.com/Hl5gEybRlm— Tribeca (@Tribeca) July 20, 2018
Robert Wagner had officially been named a person of interest in Natalie’s suspicious death as Hernandez elaborated:
“The fact is that we have a lot of information as to the events of what occurred that evening. We have a lot of evidence that tends to point to a very suspicious death and would certainly indicate the possibility of foul play.”
Since the reopening of the case, Wagner has refused to talk about anything related to Natalie’s death.
New evidence in the murder of Natalie Wood? Worth the read if interested. pic.twitter.com/9pqDXFRxB0— Deadly Possessions (@GACpossessions) July 23, 2018