A mass overdose caused one man to lose his life and 14 others to be hospitalized in Chico, Northern California.
The incident took place on Saturday morning, January 12, 2019, and the authorities believe that the overdose was caused by the narcotic Fentanyl.
It has been reported that among the victims were two police officers who rushed to the scene, but they were treated and released from the hospital.
According to Steven Standridge, Chico's Fire Department Chief, the two officers were exposed to the drug, which is often imported from China and Mexico.
The synthetic opioid is reportedly used as a filler in heroin and other street narcotics, making it a popular item in the black market, but it can be highly dangerous.
A HIGHLY DANGEROUS DRUG
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) claims that Fentanyl is '50 to 100 times more potent than morphine,' and that it can be misused and abused in the United States.
Mike O'Brien, a police captain for the Chico Police Department, shared that there is only one death currently registered but that 'there's a potential for additional fatalities.'
AN ANTIDOTE AT THE READY
To the proper authorities, the situation was nothing more than a 'mass casualty incident,' although an investigation has been launched to determine its details.
Six of the unresponsive victims, whose identities are yet to be revealed, were given doses of the opioid naloxone by the police officers, who started carrying the antidote last year.
It is believed that the victims, aged 19 to 30, knew each other and that the Fentanyl was probably ingested in combination with another substance.
"Fentanyl is '50 to 100 times more potent than morphine."
WHY DRUGS SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS
Thousands of people die from overdose every year, whether it is accidental or not, and when it comes to the latter, people need to be on a higher alert, especially when it comes to loved ones.
Brandi Nishnick, from Arizona, knows that all too well after losing her 19-year-old nephew, Gunner Bundrick, to an opioid overdose in late 2018, in which Fentanyl played a deadly role.
Gunner was found dead alongside his friend, Jake Morales, by his mother and sisters, who tried to resuscitate him to no avail, as they had been dead for several hours.
Follow us on our Twitter account @amomama_usa to learn more.
Tom Petty’s Wife Said She Was Bullied & Sued by Stepdaughters after She Saved Tom’s Life
March 30, 2022
Little Boy Asks Parents to Adopt Abandoned Girl, His Mom Learns She Is Her Biological Daughter – Story of the Day
March 08, 2022
Whitney Houston & Bobby Brown's Late Daughter Bobbi Kristina Would Have Turned 29 This Year
March 03, 2022
20 Years after Newborn Daughter’s Death, Man Hears, ‘Dad, I Finally Found You’ – Story of the Day
March 05, 2022