Woman involved in royal car crash said she has sadly not received an apology from Prince Philip
Prince Philip, 97, left unhurt after crashing his Land Rover into another car near the royal family's country estate in Norfolk. One of the occupants of the Kia involved in the crash says she awaits the Prince's apology.
46-year-old Emma Fairweather, was sitting in the passenger seat when the accident happened. She broke her wrist, and additionally, the driver, a 28-year-old woman, suffered some cuts to her knee. The 9-month-old baby, who was straddled into the backseat, was however uninjured.
Speaking with the Sunday Mirror, Fairweather revealed that she was utterly disappointed with the royal family because she is yet to receive an apology from Philip or any member of their house.
“I’m lucky to be alive, and he hasn’t even said sorry,” Fairweather told Sunday Mirror.
“It would mean the world to me if Prince Philip said sorry, but I have no idea if he’s sorry at all,” she added.
According to her, the message she received from the royal family was so loose and nothing close to an apology.
Sunday Mirror exclusive p1 tomorrow - ‘Prince Philip hasn’t even said sorry’. Incredible interview with injured passenger who says “He could have killed us and must quit driving” #PrincePhilip— Russell Myers (@rjmyers) January 19, 2019
She had received a message from a police family liaison officer:
“The message he passed on didn’t even make sense. He said, ‘The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh would like to be remembered to you.’ That’s not an apology or even a well-wish.”
A palace spokeswoman, however, revealed to PEOPLE that following the incident a full message of support was sent to both the driver and the passenger.
“I can’t see how that could be true when it was overcast,”
Fairweather told the Sunday Mirror, regarding a claim by a witness that the prince must have been dazzled by the sun.
“Suitable words of advice have been given to the driver. This is in line with our standard response when being made aware of, or receiving such images showing this type of offense,” the authorities said.
“We can confirm a Norfolk Police officer carried out an eyesight test on the morning of Saturday 19th of January with the driver of the Land Rover who successfully passed,” the spokesperson for the Norfolk Police told PEOPLE.
“The collision investigation is ongoing, and no further details will be released at this time.” he further added.
In the Prince's version of the whole incident, family friend Roy Warne said It was an astonishing escape for everyone adding that it looked like there had been extraordinarily severe injuries.
Warne also added that Prince Philip was obviously shaken and then he went and asked if everyone else [in the other car] was alright.
“As is standard procedure with injury collisions, the incident will be investigated, and any appropriate action is taken,” police in Norfolk said.
The public interest in this case is very high and the police are aware of this. Although, as with any other investigation it would be inappropriate for the police to speculate on the causes of the collision until a full investigation is carried out.
Let's see how things turn out.