logo

Heartbroken Mother-of-Three Left Homeless after 7-Year-Old Son Played with Her Lighter

Odette Odendaal
Feb 28, 2019
01:57 P.M.
Share this pen
FacebookFacebookTwitterTwitterLinkedInLinkedInEmailEmail

A mother was horrified as she watched her life go up in smoke after her son played with her lighter.

Advertisement

24-year-old Charlotte Hawksworth was busy bathing her newborn Riley when her five-year-old son, Tyler came running into the bathroom with tears streaming over words of apology.

Charlotte rushed passed her son into the living room sheer terror took over her body for a second. The room was filled with smoke, and the sofa was on fire. Tyler played with the lighter and accidentally set one of the cushions alight.

He found the lighter where Charlotte had hidden it after she began smoking again and set one of the cushions on fire and soon, so was the whole flat.

Baby tries to light black lighter.| Photo: Shutterstock.

Baby tries to light black lighter.| Photo: Shutterstock.

Advertisement

From Hounslow, Charlotte

said

after the incident:

"I just told the kids to get out. I knocked on doors on the way down, but no one answered. I was petrified, and the adrenaline took over. I wrapped the baby in a blanket and told the kids to run. I panicked and didn't shut any doors behind me. I could have saved more.”

All Charlotte and the kid’s belongings are destroyed and the walls black with smoke from the fire. For now, Charlotte commandeered her father’s sofa along with her kids, Riley, Tyler and four months old, and only daughter Nylah.

Advertisement

The mother of three had no home insurance and wanted to speak out in warning to other mothers. It only takes a split second for something to have devastating consequences.

The fire which started in the living room destroyed everything within its walls when Charlotte had just recently spent about $6630 on renovations.

Fireman spraying water in a smouldering burnt out house.| Photo: Shutterstock.

Fireman spraying water in a smouldering burnt out house.| Photo: Shutterstock.

Advertisement

After quitting smoking when Charlotte was pregnant with Nylah, she started up the habit again after her birth in January this year. The lighter got stashed high on top of the fridge in the kitchen, often where toys are temporarily kept after being taken when the kids misbehaved.

Once everyone was safely outside, mum Charlotte dialed 999. Firefighters were quick to arrive, but the blaze had already severely damaged the flat.

Fires are often one of those things easily underestimated, and that can cost lives, thankfully in Charlotte’s case the damage was monetary, but it only took seconds. Makere Tawa and her partner, Adrian Tioriori can attest to that.

According to the Greerton Fire Brigade station officer Steve Wright, a child caused a blaze that destroyed an entire house after he played with a lighter in one of the bedrooms.

The fire that started in an Otumoetai Rd house in Tauranga took five firetrucks and 12 firefighters almost an hour to put out.

Advertisement
Firefighters putting out a house fire.| Photo: Shutterstock.

Firefighters putting out a house fire.| Photo: Shutterstock.

After the fire, a dazed Makere

said

she had been in the house just before the fire started. She quickly went to the shed where she and her husband lives to get something. When she returned moments later she saw the smoke billowing out of the windows and

Advertisement
added

:

"I don't know what happened. It just happened so fast. We walked outside and, next minute, it's smoking. We tried to put the fire out, but we couldn't get back in the house. I have never seen anything go up that fast. By the time we had evacuated all the kids, the windows were already popping, and the flames were coming out the top of the roof."

All the children were safe, but the house got destroyed along with everything in it. Sadly, when a fire ripped through the home of a Youngstown, Ohio family last December, they were not so lucky.

Advertisement
info
Please fill in your e-mail so we can share with you our top stories!
By subscribing, you agree to our Privacy Policy
Advertisement
Related posts

Postman Hears Loud Cry from Abandoned House and Rushes Inside — Story of the Day

April 28, 2022

After Millionaire Husband’s Death, Old Widow Is Forced to Live In Dirty Old Trailer – Story of the Day

May 22, 2022

Poor Mom Lives in Old Trailer with Son and Never Lets Anyone in until She Gets Hospitalized — Story of the Day

February 09, 2022

Man Captures Images of Homeless People and Recognizes Mom He Lost 30 Years Ago in One of Them — Story of the Day

March 17, 2022

Poor Old Lady Buys Business Class Ticket to Meet Estranged Son, He Pretends He Doesn’t Know Her — Story of the Day

March 11, 2022

Old Man Finds Kid in Cold Forest and Learns She Is His Granddaughter He Never Knew About – Story of the Day

April 06, 2022

Stepson Mocked by Adoptive Parents & Their Children Finds Letters They Hid from Him – Story of the Day

March 12, 2022

Woman Flees Her Burning Home in a Rush, Months Later Returns and Sees Luxury House in Its Place – Story of the Day

February 11, 2022

Woman Takes Bullet for Stranger’s Son, His Dad Attends Funeral and Meets 9 Crying Kids There — Story of the Day

March 23, 2022

After Estranged Mother's Death, Siblings Find Dusty Old Box In Parents' Closet – Story of the Day

January 24, 2022

87-Year-Old Man Returns Home from Hospital, Sees His Stuff Had Been Taken Out of the House – Story of the Day

May 22, 2022

Firefighter Saves then Adopts Orphan Boy who Finds Mom’s Photo in Father’s Room 40 Years Later – Story of the Day

February 27, 2022

4-Year-Old Boy Sees Mother Collapsed on the Floor and Dials a Number Printed on His Toy

May 09, 2022

67-Year-Old Lady Is Devastated after Boss Fires Her, Weeks Later He Begs Her to Return — Story of the Day

April 18, 2022