Even though the Baby Boomers, have been around for quite a while, and have witnessed significant evolution in tech, culture, and society, and these advancements have improved and bettered their lives, there are still a lot of things they reminisce about the good old days.
Baby Boomers are generally known as those born between the years 1946 and 1964, just after The Silent Generation, and before Generation X. They are called this because there was a noticeable boom in the birth rate in the years following the Second World War.
A man and woman born in the baby boomer era | Photo: Getty images
Though it would be almost impossible to bring back these relics from the Baby Boomers' years, it would be fun to go down memory lane to relive 15 things that women from that era enjoyed and only they will understand!
1. Watching the popular sitcom, "I Love Lucy": Starring Lucille Ball, the show depicted Lucy Ricardo, a middle-class housewife prone to hilarious antics and charmingly sticky situations. It aired from 1951-1957.
A scene from 'I love Lucy' sitcom | Photo: Getty images
2. Collecting Green Stamps: Back then, you could collect green stamps after buying things at stores or gas stations and trade them for anything out of the catalogue from furniture to televisions!
3. Driving into the movies: Only true boomers would know how great it was to drive into movies back in their day. It made a perfect date night venue too.
4. Receiving mail twice a day: According to USPS, postmen delivered mail twice daily to residential homes, unlike this present day where it is less frequent.
5. Operating a rotary phone: We can almost bet that most of the people born in Generation X have no idea how to dial a rotary phone. It took way longer than punching keys into the dial pad like we do today.
A rotary phone | Photo: Getty images
6. Milk Deliveries: The most popular way to get milk at your home in that era was to have it delivered by the milkman, it is very rare to still have milk delivered to the house in this present day.
7. Looking up a number in the phonebook: Baby boomers had literal, hardcopy (not digital) phone-books that listed phone numbers of people and businesses.
8. Using a typewriter: No computers! Their generation had to make use of typing machines (typewriters) to type anything that needed documentation. It was a common form of employment for women in the 50s.
A typewriter | Photo: Getty images
9. The channels without a remote: Before remotes were common in every household; Boomers had to get up and change channels using the TV knobs.
10. Using a payphone to make calls: Way, way, before mobile phones, pay phones were the in thing. There was one on almost every street corner.
11. "Five-and-Dime" Stores: These were Baby Boomers’ version of big-time department stores. You could get almost anything at a ‘five-and-dime’ store, at very low prices.
A five and dime store | Photo: Getty images
12. Wild west world of Bonanza: This show was one of the first TV programs you could watch in colour; only you needed to own a coloured TV first - or know someone who did. That worked too.
13. Smoking on Airplanes: It used to be a regular thing to see people smoking on planes up until the 1990s, when it was banned.
14. Watching "The Mary Tyler Moore Show": This woman made television history. She was one of the first women to wear trousers on TV. It raised so much ruckus then, that producers had to reduce her pant-wearing scenes to one scene per episode in a show!
Mary Tyler Moore show | Photo: Getty images
15. Men and Women wearing long(er) hair: Even though men and women still wear very long hair today, it isn’t as common as it used to be in the ’60s. Back then, it was cool, and almost everyone was doing it.
This is quite a lengthy list, and it just goes to show that things have really, undoubtedly changed! Which ones do you remember?
Man Hears His Dog Barking from Afar, Finds It Sitting near an Abandoned Baby – Story of the Day
March 27, 2022
Teen Boy Assists Blind Old Woman in Crossing the Road and Receives Inheritance from Her Later – Story of the Day
February 04, 2022
Man Follows Wife Who Sneaks Out Every Night and Catches Her Visiting a Huge Mansion — Story of the Day
March 05, 2022
After 56 Years of Marriage, Old Woman Finds a Farewell Letter from Her Husband – Story of the Day
February 11, 2022