Queen Elizabeth released a personal statement on how the royal family plans to handle the exit of Meghan and Harry as senior members of the royal family.
Following Meghan and Harry's announcement, speculations have risen on what the stance of the Queen will be. However, in a just-released statement, the Queen made her position known.
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex smile during their visit to Canada House in thanks for the warm Canadian hospitality and support they received during their recent stay in Canada, on January 7, 2020 in London, England.| Photo:Getty Images
THE QUEEN IS SUPPORTIVE
In her statement, the grandmother mentioned that she and the entire royal family support the decision. According to the release the Queen said:
“My family and I are entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan’s desire to create a new life as a young family...we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family.”
Although supportive, the 93-year-old grandmother said she would have preferred if the couple remained with the family. She however alluded that their decision was going to be respected and understood.
Queen Elizabeth II, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex watch a flypast to mark the centenary of the Royal Air Force from the balcony of Buckingham Palace on July 10, 2018 in London, England.| Photo:Getty Images
COMPLEX TIMES FOR THE ROYALS
Leaving the royal family will create a gap in the discharge of royal duties that were formally attended to by Harry and Meghan, and this is proving to be a complicated issue for the royals.
Elton John also mentioned that he would continuously support the couple.
The royal family who has never had to deal with this sort of issue is doing the best to survive the trying times. The Queen ordered that immediate and final decisions be reached by royal officials to fill the gap.
Sir Elton John and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex at the International AIDS Conference on July 24, 2018 in Amsterdam, Netherlands.| Photo:Getty Images
A TRANSITION PERIOD
The Queen also mentioned that a transition period had been agreed upon by the couple in which their time will be split between the UK and Canada, where they hope to settle. She said:
“It has therefore been agreed that there will be a period of transition in which the Sussexes will spend time in Canada and the UK.”
The Queen also reiterated Harry and Meghan’s stance not to be reliant on public funds as they plan to take care of their finances personally.
Harry, Duke of Sussex at the Terrence Higgins Trust event ahead of National HIV Testing Week at Twickenham Stoop on November 8, 2019 in London, England.| Photo:Getty Images
A LITTLE BACKSTORY
A few weeks ago, Harry and Meghan announced their intention to step back as senior members of the royal family to set up an independent life of their own.
Although the announcement came as a shock to most people, the couple has been receiving a lot of support from friends and now the Queen.
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and their baby son Archie Mountbatten-Windsor meet Archbishop Desmond Tutu and his daughter Thandeka Tutu-Gxashe at the Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation during their royal tour of South Africa on September 25, 2019 in Cape Town, South Africa.| Photo:Getty Images
Things are not in the clear yet, but the couple has indeed been permitted by the Queen to go on with their plans to create a new life for themselves.