This delicious "depression cake" is perfect during the quarantine as it doesn't require milk, butter, or even eggs.
As reported by Today, the "depression cake" only needs flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and a few other pantry staples. This cake is easy to bake.
Just stir it up in one bowl and finish with powdered sugar when it's done. You can also whip cream or nothing at all.
According to Chef Michael Zebrowski, the trick of the "depression cake" is that it substitutes less expensive ingredients that still get the same jobs done for more costly ones.
"Butter usually serves to keep cake soft and tender by coating the flour in fat and preventing it from developing a tough gluten matrix," he shared.
Zebrowski added that "in this recipe, butter is replaced with vegetable oil, which can achieve a similar effect, but with significantly less cost."
He noted that eggs typically help leaven cakes and give them structure, yet they can undoubtedly be replaced, as well.
Woman and child smiling while baking. | Photo: Pexels
"Here, the eggs are replaced with a combination of vinegar and baking soda, which foams up quickly, making the cake light and fluffy," he said.
For those who want to bake a "depression cake," try the simple recipe below, which is featured on Salon.com:
Flour in a jar. | Photo: Pexels
1. 1½ cups all-purpose flour
2. 1 cup sugar
3. 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (or black cocoa)
4. 1 teaspoon baking soda
5. 1 teaspoon salt
6. 1 tablespoon white or apple cider vinegar
7. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8. 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
9. 1 cup cooled brewed coffee (or water)
Cocoa powder on a stainless spoon. | Photo: Pexels
1. Preheat to 375°F. Grease an 8-inch round or square pan.
2. Mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Poke three holes into the mix. Pour the vanilla, vinegar, and oil into each hole.
3. Add the coffee and stir the ingredients until well blended. Add to the pan.
4. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the top is set but springy. Cool the cake in the pan, then top with the frosting of your choice or enjoy plain.