Source: Twitter/WCVB

Late George Floyd's Autopsy Report Reveals Positive COVID-19 Test in April

Odette Odendaal
Jun 05, 2020
05:00 A.M.
Share this pen

Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office just released George Floyd's autopsy results, and among other things, it revealed that George tested positive for the novel coronavirus on April 3.


George Floyd's family had an independent autopsy performed that showed that he died from asphyxiation after being subdued by the former Minneapolis police officer, Derek Chauvin. Now, Hennepin County's medical examiner also released their detailed autopsy report.


The 20 plus page autopsy report revealed that George a nasal swab returned positive for the novel coronavirus, which he previously tested positive for on April 3. Even though the autopsy revealed medical problems, none had anything to do with his death. 

Apart from a tumor found on the left-hand side of his pelvis, George also suffered from severe arteriosclerosis and hypertensive heart disease. The rest of George's organs, including his lungs, appeared to be in a normal healthy state.


Forty-six years old at the time of his death, George became unresponsive when law enforcement officers restrained him late last month, and the coroner stated his cause of death as "cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint, and neck compression."

Shortly after George's passing, Derek, the officer who knelt down on his neck for almost nine minutes, got charged with third-degree murder in addition to losing his job.

The memorial for George Floyd is seen on Wednesday, May 27, 2020 during the second day of protests over his death in Minneapolis. | Source: Getty Images.


However, with video footage and the results from more than one autopsy having confirmed George's cause of death, three other officers involved in the incident also got fired, and now they have been brought up on charges as well.

According to reports, J. Alexander Kueng, Tou Thao, and Thomas Lane got charged with aiding and abetting murder, while Derek's charges got bumped from third to second-degree murder. 


All four of the former police officers face a maximum prison sentence of 40 years, and Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison appealed to the community to be patient while his team investigates the tragic incident. 

"I feel a tremendous sense of weight, I feel that this is a very serious moment," Keith said. "I can tell you I feel no joy in this, but I do feel a tremendous sense of duty and responsibility."

Over the next week, three memorial services will be held before George Floyd is set to find his final resting place in Houston. 

The first memorial service will take place in Minneapolis, followed by another in North Carolina, which will be split into a private and public service.


We at do our best to give you the most updated news regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, but the situation is constantly changing. We encourage readers to refer to the online updates from CDС, WHO, or Local Health Departments to stay updated.Take care!