Source: Twitter/DonShipman

13-Year-Old 8th Grader Dies after Attempting Dangerous 'Black Out Challenge' on TikTok

Lois Oladejo
Jun 19, 2021
12:20 A.M.
Share this pen

A teenager in the 8th grade has died after taking part in a life-threatening challenge trending on social media. The youngster was said to have been found unresponsive.


Nate Squire was an eighth-grader who attended Amherst Regional Middle School. Unfortunately, his life was cut short after he engaged in a viral Tik Tok challenge.

A GoFundMe account has since been set up concerning funeral arrangements and other expenses. His parents, Dave and Rachel Squire, also reached out to the public on the dangers of the challenge.

Photo of beautiful flowers in a graveyard | Photo: Pexels


Nate was said to have choked on a self-inflicted breath seizure as he took part in the challenge, and what was supposed to be a few seconds of blackout turned into a nightmare.

The incident, which happened on June 12, was said to have become public knowledge after Nate's parents walked in on his lifeless body. He was then transported to the hospital.

Beautiful daffodils in a graveyard | Photo: Pexels


Nate was confirmed dead by Monday. Now his parents are putting out words to parents and the general public on the dangers of having kids join in the challenge.

The fundraiser description written by Nate's aunt, Samantha Thomas, relayed that his parents wanted the news to reach far and wide. The statement also noted that kids should reach out to adults if they knew of another person attempting the challenge.

Haileyesus was at the hospital for nineteen days before his passing.

Photo of a graveyard | Photo: Pexels


Thomas wrote that the family hoped that Nate's story would start the necessary conversation against dangerous trends on social media platforms. She noted that it felt like "the rug had been ripped out from under us."

The superintendent in charge of Nate's school, Michael Morris, has sent out word to parents concerning the situation. Morris noted that it was a tragic event.


The "Black Out" challenge, also known as spread dreaming or the game of choking, dared the participants to choke themselves and hinder breathing until they lost consciousness.

This, in turn, leads to a state of euphoria, which would end after a few seconds. All these are to be carried out in front of the camera and posted online.

Photo of 12-year-old Joshua Haileyesus. | Source: Youtube/CBS Denver


Another young boy from Colorado lost his life to the challenge after engaging in it. Following Joshua Haileyesus' attempt at the challenge, his family was alerted to sounds from the bathroom.

They found him writhing in pain and struggling to catch his breath. His twin brother tried resuscitating him before he was hospitalized. Haileyesus was at the hospital for nineteen days before his passing.


The information in this article is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, and images contained on news.AmoMama.com, or available through news.AmoMama.com is for general information purposes only. news.AmoMama.com does not take responsibility for any action taken as a result of reading this article. Before undertaking any course of treatment please consult with your healthcare provider.