logo
Gabriel Andrews | Source: Facebook/michelle.c.howard.106
Gabriel Andrews | Source: Facebook/michelle.c.howard.106

9-Year-Old Boy Dies on His Way to School – What Happened?

Milly Wanjiku Ndirangu
Apr 07, 2025
03:56 A.M.

A 9-year-old child lost his life after being pulled into floodwaters on his way to catch his school bus, raising safety concerns across his Kentucky community.

Advertisement

On Friday morning, April 4, 2025, Gabriel Andrews and his older sister were walking to their regular pickup spot in the Hickory Hills area of Frankfort when he slipped and was swept away by fast-moving water.

The incident was reported at 6:35 a.m., and a large-scale emergency response was launched. Search crews located Gabriel’s body around 8:47 a.m., approximately half a mile from where he was last seen. The Franklin County Coroner's Office confirmed his death at 9:16 a.m.

Advertisement

Gabriel had just turned nine on April 1, just three days before the tragedy. He lived with his mother, Racheal Tibbs Andrews, who is widowed. Residents of the area explained that children in Gabriel's apartment complex must cross a drainage channel to reach their bus stop. On that particular morning, the area was flooded.

The news of his death brought shock and sorrow to the school and local community. Gabriel's teacher, Kasey Swails, posted, "The sweetest Bindi Boy 💚 we love you always Gabe." Another message from teacher Hannah Clark read, "Long live this sweet boy 🩵 prayers for his family!"

Advertisement

In a separate message, Kasey shared what Gabriel meant to her class. "My favorite part of being a teacher is who I share my classroom with. Something I pride myself on is the community I build within my four walls. By May, we are more than just a class, we are a classroom family," she wrote.

She continued, "Today, an important part of that classroom family was taken from us. The sweetest, kindest boy who was impossible not to love. Who loved basketball and anything to do with a police car, who tried his best at any task given to him. Who was a friend to all.[..] Today has been the most heartbreaking day in my teaching career."

Advertisement

Franklin County Schools confirmed that Gabriel was one of their students. "We are deeply saddened at this horrific tragedy that claimed the life of one of our students," the district said in a statement. "We are eternally grateful for our community first responders[…] who selflessly responded to assist in this situation."

Frankfort Assistant Chief of Police Scott Tracy held a briefing later that day, joined by officials including Frankfort Mayor Layne Wilkerson and Franklin County Judge Michael Mueller. The Assistant Chief of Police stated, "Our hearts are with our entire community during this time."

Advertisement

Mayor Wilkerson added, "A tragedy such as this is felt by our entire community and we all grieve together." Judge Mueller also offered condolences and thanked emergency personnel. "We offer our thoughts and prayers as they go through this time," he said.

The incident occurred as rounds of heavy rain moved through the region. Several parts of the Midwest and South were under warnings for torrential rains and flash floods. Satellite imagery showed storm activity across Kentucky, Arkansas, and Tennessee.

Advertisement

In the days leading up to April 4, tornadoes in the region had already destroyed neighborhoods and claimed lives. Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear warned residents about the dangers of rising water.

Following the incident, the district's decision to continue classes despite the weather came under scrutiny. Caitlin Green, the mother of one of Gabriel's classmates, questioned the move. "The rain was coming down hard. They had already called off certain bus routes in the area due to flooded roadways," she told a CNN affiliate.

Advertisement

On the morning of April 4, Franklin County Schools announced the cancellation of two bus routes — Bus 59 and Bus 11 — serving areas including Peaksmill, Switzer, Hamilton Camp Pleasant, Snavely Road, and Lucas Lane.

The district noted that any students affected by the transportation changes would have excused absences. However, schools remained open for the day. Later that afternoon, the district responded to rumors circulating on social media, clarifying through School Safety Coordinator Captain Abrams.

Advertisement

"We are hearing rumors that some social media posts are falsely reporting that some FCS Schools are in lockdown. This is False. All schools are operating normally and there are no lockdowns in the district," the post read.

The community continues to mourn the loss of Gabriel Andrews — a young boy remembered by those who knew him as kind, joyful, and full of promise.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Related posts

Louisiana Family Tragedy Leaves One Child as Sole Survivor After a Daring Escape

April 21, 2026

Texas Nightclub Parking Lot Incident Leaves Two Dead in Early Morning Hours — What Police Found

May 08, 2026

Louisiana Family Incident: What a 911 Call Revealed About the Moments Before Everything Unfolded

April 21, 2026

Hit-and-Run Case Takes Unexpected Turn After Prom Queen's Passing in St. Louis Incident

May 06, 2026

Country Music Legend and 'Take This Job and Shove It' Songwriter Passes Away at 86 – Fans Pay Tribute

April 30, 2026

Bodybuilding Influencer, 22, Found in Apartment Under Mysterious Circumstances

May 28, 2026

Life, Legacy, and Death of Kaylee Hottle: Co-Stars Pay Tribute as Crash Details Raise Questions — Photos

July 22, 2026

Father and Son Travel Together Before Heartbreaking Airport Incident Shocks Nevada Community

April 23, 2026

'Godzilla vs. Kong' Actress Kaylee Hottle Dies at 19 in Maryland Car Crash — Details Emerge About Who Was With Her

July 22, 2026

Family Shares Heartbreaking Statement After 7-Year-Old Goes Missing During Park Visit

April 06, 2026

Michigan Mom Made a Surprising Move with Her Kids Days Before the Family's Tragic End

July 29, 2026