logo
 tiktok.com/kasieschoch
tiktok.com/kasieschoch

Mother Shares a Warning about 'Teething Necklaces' after Her Baby Choked

Bettina Dizon
Oct 23, 2021
08:00 P.M.

A mom-of-four shared the horrifying incident when her months-old baby choked and nearly didn't make it because of a toy.

Advertisement

Any parent would be frantic with worry should their child experience pain or discomfort, let alone a near-death experience. So when mom-of-four Kasie saw her baby choking, she feared for his life.

The Boston resident shared that her then-two-month-old infant, Hunter, had sore gums that needed to be tended to. When she saw other parents talking about Amber teething necklaces, she decided to give it a shot.

Mom-of-four Kasie shares on TikTok what her baby endured. | Source:  tiktok.com/kasieschoch

Mom-of-four Kasie shares on TikTok what her baby endured. | Source: tiktok.com/kasieschoch

Amber teething necklaces claim to provide comfort to babies with toothaches through natural alternatives. Although some parents are for the necklace, others are against its production for safety reasons. Kasie researched her own before contacting the company herself. She shared:

Advertisement

"I contacted the company and took measurements to ensure it was the right fit."

Mom-of-four Kasie shares on TikTok what her baby endured. | Source:  tiktok.com/kasieschoch

Mom-of-four Kasie shares on TikTok what her baby endured. | Source: tiktok.com/kasieschoch

The company assured her that the necklace was safe, but that extra precautions had to be taken when in use. They told Kasie to remove the necklace whenever her baby would sleep and always use it with the supervision of an adult.

The couple tried to break the necklace following the incident to no avail.

Convinced, Kasie bought a necklace for her son. For nine months, her baby used the necklace with no trouble, but Kasie's worst nightmare happened when he was eleven months.

Screenshot of comments on Kasie's TikTok video. | Source:  tiktok.com/kasieschoch

Screenshot of comments on Kasie's TikTok video. | Source: tiktok.com/kasieschoch

Advertisement

"[...] He was making weird noises, and I thought he was just being silly and when I looked closer, I noticed that the necklace was caught on the stopper on the baby gate, and he was gasping for air," she shared.

The company claimed that the necklace would easily break should it get caught on something, but Kasie couldn't pull it apart. Luckily, her husband came right away and unhooked the necklace.

Hunter was beginning to turn blue by that time. "I really thought he was going to die," Kasie said. "If I'd gone to the bathroom or gone to get a snack or something, I don't think he would still be here today."

Advertisement

The couple tried to break the necklace following the incident to no avail. Fortunately, Hunter was alright but had bruises around his neck.

According to studies, Amber teething necklaces pose a danger to babies for their strangulation risk. The study used a 15 pound-force to break the necklace, but only eight of 15 broke. In addition, the beads can choke an infant.

Choking has been a known cause of death among babies. Recently, a three-week-old baby nearly died from choking had Police Officer Cody Hubbard been a second late to save him.

Hopefully, such stories could help regulators of baby necklaces be aware of different cases so they could implement stricter rules on such products.

Advertisement
info
Please fill in your e-mail so we can share with you our top stories!
By subscribing, you agree to our Privacy Policy
Advertisement
Related posts

How Dolly Parton's Face & Figure Would Look like at 78 If She Never Had Plastic Surgeries – Photos via AI

February 05, 2024

A Perfect Day with My Toddler Turned into Disaster – I Tried to Stop Her but It Was Too Late

March 01, 2024

Homeless Young Woman Doesn't Eat for a Week to Buy a Cell Phone and Call Dad for Help — Story of the Day

February 14, 2024

An Unbelievable Story of How My Biological Mom Gave Me up for Adoption

February 29, 2024

My In-Laws Ended Up Cursing Me at the Wedding, Making All of Us Cry in the Bridal Suite

March 20, 2024

Am I Horrible Letting My Toddler Fly in Economy with My Boyfriend While I Was in Business Class?

March 05, 2024

Maid of Honor Told Me the Groom’s Secret – Should I Tell the Bride?

March 07, 2024

Paris Hilton, 43, Shows off Her Beautiful Daughter London for the First Time Ever: Photos & Details

April 22, 2024

Man Asked Me to Sell Him One Gift for His Wife and One for His Mistress - This Holiday He Will Never Forget

March 08, 2024

'My Hands Be Really Trembling': I Woke up to My Boss Standing at the Foot of My Bed

March 14, 2024

Rihanna’s 2 Little Sons Melt Hearts as They Make a Rare Appearance in Sweet Family Photos

May 14, 2024

My Biggest Parenting Fail Sparked Thousands of Reactions & Comments

March 13, 2024

Mother in Tears after Supermarket Cashier Shames Her for Letting Sick Toddler Eat Snack before Paying

February 04, 2024

I Found My Adopted Mom's Letter to My Biological Mom & I'm Glad I Didn't Give It to Her

March 14, 2024