Source: Youtube.com/TODAY

Mom Rushes Concussed Daughter Who Stopped Recognizing Her to Hospital, Says They Kicked Them Out

Salwa Nadeem
Jul 25, 2022
06:20 A.M.
Share this pen

When a mother found out her three-year-old daughter couldn't recognize her after falling face down from the kitchen bar stool, she rushed to the hospital. To her surprise, the hospital staff refused to treat the little girl.


It's common for children to fall while running, playing, or even walking. Sometimes, these minor accidents lead to injuries; at other times, they just get a little scratch that heals in a few days. When children get injured after falling, the first thing their parents do is take them to the hospital.

In such situations, parents trust the doctor and expect the hospital management to prioritize their child. The mother in today's story took her daughter to the hospital after she fell face-down, but the hospital staff surprisingly sent her back home.



On July 17, 2022, Deborah Reeves from Queensland, Australia, rushed to the hospital after her three-year-old daughter, Wynta fell off the kitchen bar stool at her residence. The worried mother immediately called the emergency helpline, not knowing things would soon take an unexpected turn.

When Reeves picked little Wynta off the floor, she noticed her daughter was confused. It seemed like she was losing control of her body, which made Reeves worry. Wynta also couldn't recognize her mother.

Once Reeves reached Gladstone Hospital with her toddler, she realized no one was worried about her daughter. The doctors were concerned about something other than the little one's head injury.



The hospital staff took Wynta to a treatment room where the doctors conducted two COVID-19 tests on her. First, they did a rapid antigen test, which came out negative.

Next, they took her samples for a PCR test, which came out positive. At that point, the hospital was not ready to treat Wynta. They sent her back home and stated in the discharge letter that her PCR test was positive. Reeves said:

"I'm so upset. I really feel that her head injury should have trumped a Covid test."

A person holding a cotton swab for PCR test. | Source: Unsplash

A person holding a cotton swab for PCR test. | Source: Unsplash



According to Reeves, no one at the hospital looked at Wynta's head injury. She said her daughter "fell off a chair and got Covid" and felt her daughter "could have died" that day since no one was treating her injury. The worried mother said:

"I am disgusted with the medical system."

Reeves said the doctors didn't allow her to look at her daughter's positive COVID-19 test result, which added to her frustration. She wasn't happy with what had happened at the hospital.

A person holding a sample that tested positive for Covid-19. | Source: Unsplash

A person holding a sample that tested positive for Covid-19. | Source: Unsplash



Reeves recalled that when the doctors told her to go home, she stood in the hospital for about ten minutes, thinking about what to do next. She felt shocked that the hospital sent Wynta home without treating her injury. She added:

"And then there was nobody around. I didn't see another nurse or another doctor. There was just nobody to be seen, and so I got our things and went home."

According to Reeves, the doctors weren't interested in treating Wynta's injury, which made her feel that hospitals shouldn't panic about Covid only. She felt doctors should treat patients for their major issues before considering the coronavirus.

An empty hospital corridor. | Source: Unsplash

An empty hospital corridor. | Source: Unsplash


In Wynta's discharge letter, the hospital acknowledged that she had a head injury, but it was "deemed unremarkable neurologically." The letter also stated that little Wynta tested positive for Covid. Monica Seth, executive director of Gladstone Hospital, said:


"We are always looking to improve our service whenever possible and would be happy to meet with Wynta's mother to discuss her concerns, which can be arranged by contacting Gladstone Hospital's Patient Liaison Services."

Seth added that the Emergency Department of Gladstone Hospital staff is trained and knows how to handle such situations. Meanwhile, Reeves contacted her family doctor, who said Wynta was concussed. She was still lethargic and had a bruised forehead five days after the accident.


What would you do if you were in Reeves' shoes? Do you think the hospital is at fault for not treating the child on time despite knowing her condition was life-threatening? Should Reeves forgive the hospital for not treating her daughter?

If you liked reading this story, share it with your friends and family to see what they think about the hospital's behavior with Reeves and Wynta.

Click here to read another story about a mother who took her little son to the hospital after watching him struggle to breathe, but the hospital staff refused to admit him.

Please fill in your e-mail so we can share with you our top stories!
By subscribing, you agree to our Privacy Policy

The information in this article is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, and images contained on news.AmoMama.com, or available through news.AmoMama.com is for general information purposes only. news.AmoMama.com does not take responsibility for any action taken as a result of reading this article. Before undertaking any course of treatment please consult with your healthcare provider.


We at news.AmoMama.com do our best to give you the most updated news regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, but the situation is constantly changing. We encourage readers to refer to the online updates from CDС, WHO, or Local Health Departments to stay updated.Take care!

Related posts

Mom Leaves Daughter in Wheelchair with Stepdad, Returns Years Later and Doesn’t Recognize Her — Story of the Day

June 11, 2022

Elderly Lady Gets Hospitalized, Meets a Nurse Who Has Her Father's Eyes

March 31, 2022

Mom Is Furious as Day Care Shaves Her Biracial Daughter's Hair, Saying It'd 'Grow Back Straight'

May 12, 2022

Mom's Call Goes Unanswered by 911 after Her Kid Stops Breathing, She Starts Screaming for Help

May 09, 2022