logo
facebook.com/WPMI NBC 15 News
facebook.com/WPMI NBC 15 News

Two Alabama Brothers Die in Fire despite Desperate Mom's Tries to Save Them from Burning Home

Brittany Chalmers
Aug 31, 2022
01:20 P.M.

Children are vulnerable to an array of dangers every second of the day. Tragically, one mother experienced this firsthand when the unthinkable happened to her beloved boys.

Advertisement

Losing a loved one is always devastating, and the pain only intensifies when more than one person dies.

One mother's worst nightmare came true unexpectedly and in the blink of an eye. Grab a box of tissues before reading her tear-jerking story.

SHE WAS NEXT DOOR BRIEFLY

An Irvington, New Jersey woman adored her children and loved spending time with them. They were the apple of her eye, and she couldn't imagine a world without them.

Advertisement

Kali Sherman, 24, never knew that stepping out of her mobile home for a few minutes could lead to disastrous consequences, but it did.

There was one saving grace throughout the horrific ordeal, which kept the mother going. After she realized her kids were in danger, she rushed into the home and managed to do something miraculous.

While the young mom took some food to a nearby neighbor that lived 25 feet away, her three boys remained in their home.

THEY SAW THE BLAZE

Advertisement

Sherman's four-year-old son, Liam Barnes, found a butane lighter and took it into his room. The Mobile County Sheriff's Office reported that the little one was playing with the item when it unexpectedly set his mattress alight.

Neighbor Shaun Kendall detailed how the events unfolded on a fateful day in August 2022. He stated:

"We started seeing smoke ... and we heard the fire alarm going off."

He continued that they ran outside and realized Sherman's home was ablaze. They rushed to the house and saw "everything going crazy."

Kali Sherman's home. | Source: facebook.com/WPMI NBC 15 News

Kali Sherman's home. | Source: facebook.com/WPMI NBC 15 News

THE BOYS WERE TRAPPED INSIDE

Advertisement

Barnes and his two-year-old brother, Noah Gordon, were trapped in the room. They shared a bunk bed and struggled to escape the overwhelming smoke and heat engulfing the area.

Gordon sought safety inside a closet, but sadly it wasn't out of harm's way. MCSO Sgt. Mark Bailey shared:

"He closed the door, and at that point, he was unable to escape once the heat and the smoke became too intense. He was incapacitated at that point."

Kali Sherman's home. | Source: facebook.com/WPMI NBC 15 News

Kali Sherman's home. | Source: facebook.com/WPMI NBC 15 News

THE FIRE SPREAD QUICKLY

The home's smoke detectors were discovered to have malfunctioned, and during the five to six minutes that the mom was away, the flames wreaked havoc. Bailey explained how the fire spread so quickly and noted:

Advertisement

"This [lighter] shoots out a torch flame instead of just the regular flame. It gets very, very hot and it stays lit until you manually turn it off."

MCSO Sgt. Mark Bailey. | Source: facebook.com/WPMI NBC 15 News

MCSO Sgt. Mark Bailey. | Source: facebook.com/WPMI NBC 15 News

IT WAS RULED A TRAGIC INCIDENT

Authorities ruled out any aspects of foul play. Bailey revealed: "In this case, it does not warrant any charges to be filed on the mother or anyone. It's just a tragic incident, to say the least."

Captain Paul Burch indicated that emergency responders desperately tried to save the lives of the children, but they were unsuccessful. "It's just a really, really horrible story," he expressed.

Advertisement

A MIRACLE AMID THE TRAGEDY

There was one saving grace throughout the horrific ordeal, which kept the mother going. After she realized her kids were in danger, she rushed into the home and managed to do something miraculous. She retrieved her 10-month-old baby.

He was sleeping in another area of the home. Sherman also managed to pull her eldest son from inside the house, but sadly he passed away later at a local hospital.

Advertisement

CHILDREN'S SAFETY

This horrific incident devastated the community, and many first responders urged people to check their smoke detectors regularly. They also stated that parents must equip their kids with safety skills.

Simple pieces of advice can prove to be life-saving. It is never too early to start educating kids and raising their awareness regarding the dangerous situations they may find themselves in.

FAMILIES SHOULD HAVE ESCAPE PLANS

Advertisement

Mobile Fire-Rescue Dept. Public Information Officer Steven Millhouse indicated that closets were not safe places to hide when a fire took over. He added:

"Children should first know where to go and how to get out. Stay low to the ground. Crawl their way to the nearest exit, get out of the home."

Bailey also noted that tragic incidents involving fire and children happened too often. He explained that because fires get out of control quickly, it was crucial to have escape plans in case of emergency.

Advertisement

Sherman lost two of her beloved children, but there will always be a place for them in her heart. Her remaining child is a blessing, and we wish them many safe and happy years together.

Our thoughts and prayers go to the young mom as she grieves during this heartbreaking time. RIP to the two little angels!

Click here for another story about a parent who tried to save their children from a burning house. A father hoped he could rescue his beautiful daughters, giving every bit of himself. Tragically, it was too late.

Advertisement
info
Please fill in your e-mail so we can share with you our top stories!
By subscribing, you agree to our Privacy Policy
Advertisement
Related posts

Little Girl Goes Back into Burning House to Save Her Dog — ‘Heartbreaking,’ Family Says

April 11, 2024

Old Lady Thinks Her Husband Died in Fire, Years Later She Accidentally Sees Him with Young Woman — Story of the Day

May 12, 2024

'Emily's Been Keeping a Big Lie from You All This Time': Mother-in-Law Reveals a Secret Under Anesthesia

February 12, 2024

My Kid Can’t Stop Shaking after Spending a Few Hours with Old Neighbor — Story of the Day

March 06, 2024

Man Constantly Mocks Unemployed Wife for Doing Nothing, Finds a Note after Ambulance Takes Her Away — Story of the Day

April 22, 2024

Client Asked for a Tattoo and Showed Me a Photo of My Children — Story of the Day

April 11, 2024

Woman Slips Note to Cabbie, He Reads It and Decides to Follow Her – Story of the Day

March 18, 2024

Woman Receives Message From Her Late Son’s Phone — Story of the Day

May 30, 2024

My New Neighbors Bullied Me, So My Only Son Helped Me Teach Them a Valuable Lesson

June 06, 2024

Runaway Twins Search Dumpster for Food, Find Old Jacket with Perfume Bottle in Its Pocket – Story of the Day

March 26, 2024

'Superman' Actor Gene Hackman, 94, ‘Looks Nothing’ Like Himself in Public Appearance with Rarely-Seen Wife

March 31, 2024

Watching TV, Woman Recognises Late Sister's Son Who Disappeared The Day She Died – Daily Drama

February 27, 2024

I Sent My Daughter to My Mother for Summer, Soon I Learned My Mom Died and Daughter Disappeared – Story of the Day

February 20, 2024

3 Touching Stories about Single Fathers Who Had to Fight for Their Children

April 05, 2024