Trucker enjoys his last dying wish, to take one final ride in a 62-year-old Studebaker

Rebelander Basilan
Apr 14, 2018
01:49 A.M.
Share this pen

He made a list of everything he wanted to achieve before he passed away.


Howard Savage completed his bucket list with the help of his family and friends, as reported by God Updates.

The 69-year-old veteran's final wish was to take one final ride in a 62-year-old Studebaker before going to Forest House hospice.

Savage has terminal esophageal cancer and his heart and lungs soon were unable to keep up.

He knew his time was short. During his final days, he communicated with his loved ones through a computer program because it was hard for him to talk.


Savage acknowledged the medical teams who take good care of him at the hospital. He called them "absolutely wonderful."

According to his family, Savage was a Vietnam veteran, Coppermine warehouse supervisor, and long-haul truck driver. He was also a mechanic, carpenter, and computer refurbisher.

Moving him to hospice was quite difficult for his family. When they made the decision, his wife of over 44 years, Elaine, knew that he had unfinished business to attend.

Savage was brave enough to face his own death. He said: "I will get to die a peaceful death. I'm not scared."


But there was one last thing he wanted to do, God Updates reported.

Savage wished he could have one final drive through Flagstaff in the Studebaker he spent the last 22 years restoring.

Just as Savage was being discharged from the hospital to move into hospice care, his long-time friend Bob Pauley drove his beloved 1955 Studebaker to the front door of Flagstaff Medical Center.

Despite being a disabled veteran, Savage was still able to work on his Studebaker.

“Oh, he’s replaced the engine several times, the transmission, the rear end. It seems like we were always working on the truck to make it just right,” Pauley said.


Savage was all smiles as he and Pauley rolled through the town. It was clear that this was the last ride he hoped to have. He hugged Elaine after the ride.

Upon arriving at Forest House hospice, he and his family and friends posed for a photo with the Studebaker.

To make one more last wish happen, Savage invited a small group of friends to his room for a final game of poker.

On November 4, 2017, Savage passed away peacefully. There was no public service, per his instructions.