Cause of death of Sandra Bullock's stalker revealed

Junie Sihlangu
May 07, 2018
07:17 A.M.
Share this pen

Last week, Joshua James Corbett, Sandra Bullock’s, former stalker committed suicide during a standoff with the police. The police officers went to his house to arrest him after he missed a court date.


Instead of going in quietly, Corbett threatened the officers. Los Angeles Times reported that the tragic event occurred on May 2, 2018.

Corbett, 42, was on probation for stalking actress Sandra Bullock in 2014. He barricaded himself inside his home in the 2400 block of Harmony Place, La Crescenta at around 7 a.m. on Wednesday.

This was after officers with the Los Angeles Police Department attempted to serve him a warrant. Steve Sitkoff, Corbett's attorney, shared that his client had missed a court date last month and police came to arrest him.


A spokesman for the Crescenta Valley, Sheriff's Station Lt. Gary Harman, said Corbett had refused to comply with the officers. He even went as far as threatening to shoot them if they tried to arrest him.

A SWAT team was called in and authorities tried to talk Corbett into surrendering. At around 1 p.m., police were able to get inside the home but found that he had taken his own life.

"When he was getting help and medication, he was really a gentle soul. He was a good person, but he had mental-health demons that we really thought he was controlling."

Steve Sitkoff, Los Angeles Times, May 4, 2018


The Los Angeles County coroner's office stated that Corbett had "multiple lacerations" on both of his arms and one of his legs. Sitkoff shared that his late client had suffered from mental-health issues but stopped going to counseling.

In June 2014, the man had been arrested after he was caught breaking into Sandra Bullock's West Los Angeles home. She was home alone at the time of the break-in and called 911 from a locked bedroom.


In his possession, Corbett had multiple photos of Bullock and a letter he had written where he portrayed himself as the actress's husband. He was convicted last year in May to five years of probation for the incident.

According to People, he pleaded no contest to one felony count each of stalking and first-degree residential burglary. Corbett was ordered to seek treatment at a mental-health facility.

Bullock received a 10-year protective order against Corbett.