Source:

Father of two nearly died after he contracted a disease from biting his nails

May 10, 2018
10:55 P.M.
Share this pen
FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmail

A man is lucky to be alive after a life-threatening infection was spreading through his blood.

Advertisement

The Sun reported that Luke Hanoman from Birkdale, Southport, became infected with sepsis because he used to bite his nails regularly.

28-year-old Hanoman experienced flu-like symptoms for a week. After he bit the skin on the side of one of his nails, he began to have cold sweats and was shaking.

He initially ignored the symptoms but took notice when his finger began to throb and swell. 

The father-of-two went to a hospital and was told he was lucky to have survived. Hanoman was treated for sepsis for several days.

When the treatment began, he had already contracted a high temperature and had red lines all over his body. 

Advertisement
Advertisement

“It was quite scary. I was on a 24-hour observation with two drips in my arms constantly. They told me I was lucky to make it so long. I was close to septic shock.”

Luke Hanoman, The Sun, May 1, 2018.

The young father revealed that he used to bite his nails and that it was a “nervous” habit.

According to Mayo Clinic, sepsis is a life-threatening infection which can damage organs, causing them to fail. When sepsis progresses to septic shock, it leads to a drop in the blood pressure which may lead to death.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says that more than 1.5 million people contract the disease and 250,000 people die from it every year in the US alone.

Anyone can contract sepsis, though it is more common in those with weak immune systems or older adults. However, the cure lies in early detection and treatment.

Dr. Steven Simpson, medical director of the Sepsis Alliance, said that those who regularly bite their nails have to seek medical attention if a finger begins to get red and tender. 

Advertisement