logo

TV producer killed after e-cigarette exploded, burning 45% of his body

author
May 22, 2018
12:28 P.M.

There was initially some confusion about how the man had died, but the coroner confirmed it was from something many carry around in their pockets.

Advertisement

Tallmadge Wakeman D'Elia, a 38-year-old man from St Petersburg, Florida, has died after his e-cigarette exploded inside his pocket while he was in his home.

As reported by ABC Action News, it was initially thought that he had died in a simple house fire in an upstairs bedroom, but the coroner's office confirmed it was the e-cigarette that caused the fire in the first place.

D'Elia was found with burns across 45% of his body, and a "projectile wound" from the e-cigarette, penetrating both his skull and his brain.

Bill Pellan, Director of Investigations at the Pinellas County Medical Examiner's Office confirmed that the device was a Smok-E Mountain Mech Works, which is a type of unregulated mechanical modified e-cigarette.

Advertisement

This device does not come with safety features.

Gary Wilder, owner of Lizard Juice, explained that these devices are simply not safe to use, and that he and most other local store owners won't sell these devices.

“Any other e-cig that has a computer chip in it prevents that from [overheating],” Wilder added.

Wilder has also suggested users take other measures with their vapes, including using rubber casings over extra batteries, and re-wrapping any batteries that seem worn down.

"If that seal is broken on the top, the negative is exposed and if you put that in your pocket, it can do the same thing in your pocket," Wilder explained.

Smoke-E mountain told ABC Action News that it was not their device that caused the accident, but more likely that it was a cloned battery that made the device so unsafe.

Advertisement
info
Please fill in your e-mail so we can share with you our top stories!
By subscribing, you agree to our Privacy Policy
Advertisement
Related posts

10 Intriguing Items That Perplex Observers with Their Form and Function

October 31, 2023

Sisters, Aged 2 and 7, Lose Their Lives Days before Christmas despite Their Parents Desperately Trying to Save Them

December 28, 2023

'Emily's Been Keeping a Big Lie from You All This Time': Mother-in-Law Reveals a Secret Under Anesthesia

February 12, 2024

Man Betrays Wife Freed From Prison – Story of the Day

January 22, 2024

How Paul Walker Would Look Today If Not for Tragic High-Speed Car Accident: Photos via AI

February 06, 2024

Cause of 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' Star Andre Braugher's Premature Death Had Grieving Fans React: 'Oh How Awful'

December 15, 2023

Ryan O'Neal's Death Certificate Reveals He Suffered from One Illness for Years

December 23, 2023

Concerned Parents Whose Daughter 'Changed Drastically' since Day Care Sew Recorder in Her Jacket

October 26, 2023

Dad of 8 Found Dead at Home Holding Bodies of His 2 Sons

January 26, 2024

How Paul Walker Would Look Today If Not for Tragic High-Speed Car Accident: Photos via AI

November 28, 2023

This Boy Was a Hollywood Actor’s Real-Life & On-Screen Son — He Was 36 When Housekeeper Found Him Dead at Home

November 07, 2023

Happy Girl, 5, Starts Coming from School Distressed & Shaking – Mom Secretly Put Mini Recorder in Her Scrunchie

December 07, 2023

Arnold Schwarzenegger Shares What His Grandchildren Is too 'Spoiled' to Help with When Visiting

February 01, 2024

‘Columbo’ Star Peter Falk’s Daughter Was Banned from His Funeral by Stepmom & Couldn’t Even Say Goodbye to Dad

November 01, 2023