Mira Sorvino speaks out about Harvey Weinstein for the first time since he was indicted
Mira Sorvino opened up about Harvey Weinstein being arrested and charged with rape and committing a criminal sex act.
The awarded actress, who accused the disgraced producer of sexual harassment and derailing her career throughout the years, discussed her feelings about seeing Weinstein face charges for his actions on the Today show, as reported by People.
The movie mogul is “finally facing real criminal consequences for his criminal behavior,” said Sorvino. She told host Savannah Guthrie that Weinstein’s indictment feels like there is progress being made.
The 50-year-old actress said none of the alleged victims had shared their nightmare with Weinstein and that she "only knew of one other person that had experienced the alleged abuse at the hands of the filmmaker.”
She then stopped mid-sentence while talking to Guthrie and began tearing up when she saw Weinstein's alleged victims on a screen behind her. Sorvino said, "Oh, boy. That's crazy. I'm sorry."
Weinstein has denied all allegations of non-consensual sex. On Tuesday, June 8, he pleaded not guilty to two counts of rape and one count of a criminal sexual act stemming from alleged incidents from 2004 and 2013 with two different women.
Weinstein faces up to 25 years behind bars if convicted of rape and criminal sex act charges, stemming from two separate incidents: He is accused of raping an unknown woman in 2013 and of forcing actress Lucia Evans to perform oral sex on him in 2004.
Sorvino, who won an Oscar for “Mighty Aphrodite” when she worked with Weinstein, suspected that she had been blacklisted by him after the abuse occurred and she decided to reject any insinuation from him.
The Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson confirmed Sorvino’s suspicions when he admitted that he was warned not to work with her because she was believed to be difficult. Read more on our Twitter account @amomama_usa.