logo

Sobering x-ray image shows the dangers of feeding whole grapes to your children

Rodolfo Vieira
Aug 30, 2018
10:55 A.M.

Angela Henderson, the author of "Finlee and Me," a popular parenting blog, shared an x-ray image of a grape lodged in a 5-year-old's throat.

Advertisement

The purpose of the picture, according to the blogger, was to raise awareness for the dangers that grapes and other small foods represent when it comes to choking.

The x-ray was posted on Finlee and Mee's Facebook page and, so far, it has been shared over 37, 000 times, which has helped spread the message to unsuspecting parents around the world.

According to Henderson, the x-ray was sent to her by a pediatrician, whose identity is yet to be revealed, hoping that it would help people realise the importance of cutting food properly before giving it to small children.

Follow us on our Twitter account @amomama_usa to learn more.

Henderson said that children are not usually concerned about chewing their food, and that they may just swallow it in a hurry in order to do something fun without thinking of the consequences.

Advertisement

Children under the age of five are hihgly susceptible to choking while eating grapes, baby tomatoes and other small foods, which is why is important to slice them in half.

The little boy in the picture, whose name hasn't been shared, swallowed the grape whole, so he had to be put under general anesthesia and be operated on to have the piece of fruit removed from his throat.

According to the National Safety Council, choking is the fourth-leading cause of unintentional injury or death when it comes to infants, and that at least one child dies from choking on food every five days in the U.S.

Advertisement

Foods such as grapes, popcorn, small candy, raw pieces of vegetables, peanut butter, hot dogs and ice cubes can be found within the list of choking hazards for children.

Back in 2017, Emma Carver, from Michigan, was shopping with her two-year-old son Ayyan Umar when he started choking. The childen, who was sitting in the shopping cart, grabbed two grapes from a bag while his mother was looking for cheese.

Ayyan started choking and 911 was called as a customer attempted CPR after the child passed out. Unfortunately, the 2-year-old didn't survive, even though the emergency services personnel managed to dislodge one of the grapes.

Advertisement
info
Please fill in your e-mail so we can share with you our top stories!
By subscribing, you agree to our Privacy Policy
Advertisement
Related posts

Plane Crashes near Shopping Center in Texas – Witness Says There Were ‘Flames Everywhere’

November 22, 2023

Jill Diven: Inside Her Relationship with Her Ex-husband Brad Garrett

December 08, 2023

Sarah Feuerborn Harbaugh Is Jim Harbaugh Wife Who Raises Awareness for Cancer

November 22, 2023

A Terrifying Anonymous Message Revealed a Different Side of My Late Mother

February 25, 2024

Mom Shows 'Busy Day' Meals for Her 1 and 3-Year-Old Daughters in Viral Video, Faces Backlash: 'Poor Children'

February 11, 2024

Woman Checks Hidden Cam, Finds Out Her Mother-In-Law Sneaks Into Her Bedroom at Night

November 03, 2023

Kristen Tuff Scott Is a Breast Cancer Survivor Who Is Enjoying Farm Life

November 22, 2023

Tess Curtis White Was Betty White's Mother 'To the Very Last' – Look inside Her Life

November 29, 2023

Bride Runs Away From Her Own Wedding After Receiving a Mysterious Wedding Gift – Story of the Day

December 27, 2023

11-Month-Old Baby Tragically Loses His Life the Day after Taking His First Steps

January 30, 2024

Jerry Mathers Lost 55 Pounds in Health Battle — Now Proud Grandpa of 5 Flaunts His Large Family

December 18, 2023

This Walmart Employee Is Child Star’s Spouse - She Died Homeless in His Arms

February 05, 2024

‘These Two Belong Together’: Ben Affleck & Jennifer Garner Step Out in Fall Outfits with Shades of Blue

November 13, 2023

Pauley Perrette's Mother Donna Bell Lives on through the Star's Bakeshop and Book

November 09, 2023