Boy, 11, who ate toilet paper due to a medical condition which meant he was always hungry, dies

The 11-year-old boy who had a rare disease that made him never feel full died after a hard fight.

Caden Benjamin suffered from Prada Willis Syndrome, a strange condition in which his brain does not register that it is full. In this disease obesity is common and due to it the derivation in other health conditions.

In the case of Benjamin, he also suffered from an important respiratory condition, his heart was getting bigger, he had diabetes, he was very depressed, his kidneys were suffering from an important tension since he needed medicines to urinate.

He also had a skin condition called cellulitis, just to name the main difficulties he already had. The boy held the international headlines for eating toilet paper because of his condition. Follow us on Twitter for more @amomama

HIS MOTHER’S STRUGGLE

The South African boy died at the Steve Biko Hospital in the city of Pretoria in the province on November 15, 2018.

Caden's mother, Zola Benjamin, was a single mother who was struggling until the last moment with her son's difficult illness. In fact, she was also deteriorated presenting hypertension generated by this situation.

Because of the way Caden was gaining weight, doctors sent her a strict diet and she had to lock the kitchen cabinets and the refrigerator. In addition, she also had to hide the food.

CAMPAIGN FOR HIS FUNERAL

However, nothing was enough. Zola says that the child would scrape the ground and eat it if he did not find any other food.

His mother said that he often broke down in tears saying that he wanted to go out and play with the other children.

Family friend Gila Sacks, started a crowdfunding campaign to raise funds to help pay for Caden's care since Zola could not afford her medications. Now, this campaign has been extended to try to raise funds to pay for the funeral.

A similar case was that of a toddler who died of lead poisoning after eating flakes of paint-covered wood at home.

Medics did a blood test after being told he had pica, a disorder whose sufferers eat items of no nutritional value, such as stones and coins. It showed double the fatal level of lead; a material banned in paints sold in Britain in 1992, but still existing on paintwork in older houses.

Eating strange things can be a really bad choice, like the 19-year-old boy who ate a slug and ended up in a coma and could never fully recover.

Ballard fell into a coma when eosinophilic meningoencephalitis affected his brain. He woke up three years later. Prior to that, his mother had hopes for improvement.

Related posts
People Apr 02, 2019
6-Year-Old Boy Tragically Dies While Waiting to Take His Baseball Team Photo
Feb 07, 2019
'Master herbalist' charged with boy's death for convincing parents not to give him insulin
Dec 23, 2018
Meet the young boy who lost best friend then did odd jobs to raise money to buy him a gravestone
Dec 16, 2018
Story of paralyzed boy who walked again after nerve transplant surgery still melts hearts