logo

Boy, 11, who ate toilet paper due to a medical condition which meant he was always hungry, dies

Pedro Marrero
Nov 28, 2018
05:33 A.M.

The 11-year-old boy who had a rare disease that made him never feel full died after a hard fight.

Advertisement

Caden Benjamin suffered from Prada Willis Syndrome, a strange condition in which his brain does not register that it is full. In this disease obesity is common and due to it the derivation in other health conditions.

In the case of Benjamin, he also suffered from an important respiratory condition, his heart was getting bigger, he had diabetes, he was very depressed, his kidneys were suffering from an important tension since he needed medicines to urinate.

He also had a skin condition called cellulitis, just to name the main difficulties he already had. The boy held the international headlines for eating toilet paper because of his condition. Follow us on Twitter for more @amomama.

Advertisement

HIS MOTHER’S STRUGGLE

The South African boy died at the Steve Biko Hospital in the city of Pretoria in the province on November 15, 2018.

Caden's mother, Zola Benjamin, was a single mother who was struggling until the last moment with her son's difficult illness. In fact, she was also deteriorated presenting hypertension generated by this situation.

Because of the way Caden was gaining weight, doctors sent her a strict diet and she had to lock the kitchen cabinets and the refrigerator. In addition, she also had to hide the food.

Advertisement

CAMPAIGN FOR HIS FUNERAL

However, nothing was enough. Zola says that the child would scrape the ground and eat it if he did not find any other food.

His mother said that he often broke down in tears saying that he wanted to go out and play with the other children.

Family friend Gila Sacks, started a crowdfunding campaign to raise funds to help pay for Caden's care since Zola could not afford her medications. Now, this campaign has been extended to try to raise funds to pay for the funeral.

Advertisement

A similar case was that of a toddler who died of lead poisoning after eating flakes of paint-covered wood at home.

Medics did a blood test after being told he had pica, a disorder whose sufferers eat items of no nutritional value, such as stones and coins. It showed double the fatal level of lead; a material banned in paints sold in Britain in 1992, but still existing on paintwork in older houses.

Advertisement

Eating strange things can be a really bad choice, like the 19-year-old boy who ate a slug and ended up in a coma and could never fully recover.

Ballard fell into a coma when eosinophilic meningoencephalitis affected his brain. He woke up three years later. Prior to that, his mother had hopes for improvement.

Advertisement
info
Please fill in your e-mail so we can share with you our top stories!
By subscribing, you agree to our Privacy Policy
Advertisement
Related posts

People Share The Weirdest And Worst Things Their Roommates Ever Did

November 22, 2023

Children of Cheapskate Parents Reveal Their Most Insane Stories

November 30, 2023

9 People Share Parenting Moments from Their Lives That Are Both Hilarious and Heartwarming

February 01, 2024

In a Brave Attempt to Save His 6-Year-Old Brother, 8-Year-Old Boy Also Lost His Life

January 10, 2024

My Classmates Shared Food with Me in School, I Paid Each of Them a Visit When I Became Rich – My Story

February 20, 2024

Children of Cheapskate Parents Reveal Their Most Insane Stories

May 03, 2024

Man Kisses Wife before Delivery, Not Knowing He Would Soon Be a Single Dad to Quadruplets

November 16, 2023

Children Refuse to Support Old Dad, Learn He Died Trying to Earn at Least a Penny – Story of the Day

February 16, 2024

Chrissy Teigen Faced Criticism after Revealing That Her Son, 5, Has Never Eaten a Vegetable – Details

January 23, 2024

Patients Reveal the Most Awkward Doctor Visit They've Ever Had

May 02, 2024

This Famous Boy’s ‘Clock Stopped’ When His Dad Died Yet at 52, His Life Began with the Birth of His 1st Son

November 30, 2023

Waiter Feeds Disabled Child So Tired Mom Can Finish Her Meal, Finds $10K Check on Table Later — Story of the Day

February 26, 2024

My Husband Gifted Me a Christmas Present That Outraged Me – Next Year, I Plotted a Revenge

December 12, 2023

Olivia Williams Manning Is Archie Manning's Wife Who Once Became Homecoming Queen

November 10, 2023