Police Officers Who Fatally Shot Stephon Clark Will Not Face Charges, Says Sacramento DA
The Sacramento District Attorney revealed that the police officers who killed Stephon Clark will not face charges, much to the disappointment of protesters outside the Sacramento police headquarters.
The county's top prosecutor announced she did not intend to file charges against two police officers who fatally shot Stephon Clark, an unmanned black man, in his own grandmother's backyard last year.
According to Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert, their investigation needed her to decide whether the officers broke the law.
Stephon Clark's fiancée says his family's hearts are broken again after no charges are brought against the two Sacramento police officers who fatally shot him in his grandmother's backyard https://t.co/yXw9KS9B9J pic.twitter.com/hfq2oNJVzx— CNN (@CNN) March 4, 2019
"When we look at the facts and the law, and we follow our ethical responsibilities, the answer is no."
Sacramento County District Attorney announced that two police officers would NOT face charges related to the shooting death of Stephon Clark, an unarmed black man who was killed by police investigating car burglaries. https://t.co/UVIjFldMFp@mattgutmanABC reports pic.twitter.com/9wFAQNCdWg— Good Morning America (@GMA) March 4, 2019
The case increased the strained relations between law enforcement and the Sacramento community and the racial tensions in the area. City officials and community leaders have been appealing for peace after protests have been made against the DA's decision.
The Sacramento cops who shot and killed Stephon Clark, an unarmed Black man, last year will not be charged, according to the DA. pic.twitter.com/Vazo1ltEEo— AJ+ (@ajplus) March 4, 2019
The Clark family previously filed a $20 million federal lawsuit against the two officers involved. The 22-year-old was shot multiple times by two officers, who thought they saw a flash coming from a gun. It turns out, he was only holding his cellphone, which was found under his body after he was shot.
Protests and peaceful rallies in Sacramento disrupted traffic, blocked access to NBA games and interrupted a local city council meeting after Clark was shot. https://t.co/F6O1v3cDKF— USA TODAY (@USATODAY) January 31, 2019
According to the wrongful death lawsuit they filed, the two officers, one black and one white, failed to issue a verbal warning to the man before opening fire. The family also stated that the cops did not get Clark medical attention right after the shooting.
"The involved officers . . . fired 20 shots striking (Clark) approximately eight times."
The lawsuit calls heightened attention to the Sacramento district attorney’s office, which has not yet announced if the officers who shot 22-year-old Stephon Clark will face criminal charges. https://t.co/FII61qp95y— Vox (@voxdotcom) January 29, 2019
Brian Panish, attorney for Clark's children, parents, and grandchildren, previously said in a statement:
"When the facts are fully disclosed, we are confident that a jury will deliver justice that reflects how grossly the police land city officials failed Stephon, his family and the people of Sacramento.”
Unfortunately for them, there would be no justice served for his death that day. Schubert claimed that the policemen were called after a neighbor said Clark vandalized three cars and jumped through backyards. She also said that the cops allegedly asked him to respond, but when he didn't, that's when they opened fire.
ⓘ NEWS.AMOMAMA.COM does not support or promote any kind of violence, self-harm, or abusive behavior. We raise awareness about these issues to help potential victims seek professional counseling and prevent anyone from getting hurt. NEWS.AMOMAMA.COM speaks out against the above mentioned and advocates for a healthy discussion about the instances of violence, abuse, sexual misconduct, animal cruelty, abuse etc. that benefits the victims. We also encourage everyone to report any crime incident they witness as soon as possible.