logo

Mom Warns Parents after 2-Year-Old-Son Nearly Dies Days after Choking on Popcorn

Monica Otayza
Mar 07, 2019
11:57 P.M.

A concerned mother from Colorado shares that her young 2-year-old son almost died days after he had popcorn stuck in his lungs during a choking fit. She wrote a post to warn others about the dangers of popcorn to toddlers.

Advertisement

Little Nash Goddard from Denver, Colorado, had to have emergency surgery after getting pneumonia from dislodged pieces of corn after eating popcorn. Nicole, his mom, shared that the surgeons found that Nash aspirated popcorn into his lungs when he choked. Seeing it as such a grave threat, she decided to warn parents from all over the world about the dangers of young toddlers eating popcorn.

"I wanted to share our experience because as I’ve shared the story so many people were shocked and unaware of the bad effect popcorn can have on a toddler."

Advertisement

He was watching a movie with his mom and dad, Nicole and Jake when he choked on the snack. However, after a while, he was back to normal and continued to watch. It was only the next day when Nicole noticed he had such a strange cough before it developed into a fever.

On that night, she called the doctor and she was told to take him straight to the hospital for some tests. It turns out, he developed pneumonia as his body thought the popcorn pieces were "foreign objects." The body then created pus-filled pockets around them as a sort of defense mechanism, but with so many complications, he needed to undergo surgery.

Advertisement

At the time, they had him have an x-ray, and doctors immediately knew something was wrong. Nash was urgently put under anesthesia, and the doctors performed two separate surgeries were made to remove the popcorn.

Nash spent three days in the hospital last month before he was released and has since then recovered from the traumatic experience.

Nicole doesn't want any other family to undergo what they did, so she wrote a lengthy Facebook message about it, which has gone viral. In her post, she shared that like how parents would, they would occasionally feed their kids with junk like popcorn, as they didn't see anything wrong with it. However, such a terrible trip to the hospital and a near-death experience for their son has prompted them to write an eye-opener for other parents.

Advertisement

"I wanted to share our experience because as I’ve shared the story so many people were shocked and unaware of the bad effect popcorn can have on a toddler. Last Saturday night we were all watching a movie and eating popcorn which is a very frequent event on the weekend in our home. I didn’t think twice to give Nash popcorn."

In the end, the 39-year-old mom wrote about the ordeal in good faith, hoping to get the word out there that toddlers should not be eating popcorn.

"Please no negative judgment on this post, I wrote it as an eye opener for people to see how something that you think is fine can quickly turn into something bad! Always trust your gut because it’s right!!"

Advertisement
info
Please fill in your e-mail so we can share with you our top stories!
By subscribing, you agree to our Privacy Policy
Advertisement
Related posts

Wife's Secret Note to Flight Attendant Leads to Heartwarming Announcement on the Plane

January 22, 2024

Washington Mom, 38, Dies in Her Van Enroute Homeschool Activity with Her Kids: Tragic Details

March 27, 2024

Jane Seymour Showed Off Her Twin Sons, Who Are Now Taller than Her: ‘Handsome Men’

May 01, 2024

Mother of Two Tragically Killed in Super Bowl Parade Shooting – Details Revealed

February 15, 2024

Mom-of-Three Dies with 1-Year-Old Son in Her Arms after Desperate Attempt to Rescue Her Children

February 22, 2024

Mother of Two Tragically Killed in Super Bowl Parade Shooting – Details Revealed

February 16, 2024

Woman Loses Her Husband, Mother, and 8-Year-Old Son in One Tragic Moment – 'It's Unbearable'

February 05, 2024

David Bromstad’s Siblings Stay Close despite Their Different Life Paths

January 23, 2024

Mom Is Shamed for Dressing Kids in Cheap Walmart Clothes - Her Reply Led to a Flood of Amazed Reactions

January 22, 2024

Who Is Kris Jenner’s Lookalike Sister Who Tragically Died at 65 & Looked ‘Pretty’ & More ‘Natural’ than Her?

March 21, 2024

Survivor of Baltimore Bridge Collapse Speaks Out Following ‘Miraculous’ Escape from Death

March 28, 2024

Mom Who Dresses 6-Week-Old Baby in Posh Brands Earns Mixed Reactions on Daughter's Name

February 28, 2024

Ginger Grant Is Only Living Actress from ‘Gilligan’s Island’ & Grandma of Twin Grandkids Who Inherited Her Eyes

March 25, 2024

Boy, 10, Gets Arrested and Held in Jail over a Mind-Blowing Reason – His Mom Sues the Police for $2 Million

March 01, 2024