Source: Shutterstock

Suspect in Walgreens Shooting That Left Mother-Of-Five Dead Turns Himself In

Ra'eesah Manack
Jun 21, 2019
05:42 P.M.
Share this pen

Walgreen's is in hot water after a man reportedly shot an unarmed woman in one of their stores. The woman was suspected of shoplifting.


A 33-year-old man handed himself over to police on Wednesday after reportedly shooting and killing an unarmed Black woman at a Chicago Walgreens. According to the Chicago Sun-Times, he came forward a week after the incident.

Reports claim the man is currently being interrogated by investigators. However, he has not yet been charged for his involvement in the shooting and death of 56-year-old Sircie Varnado.


Varnado, a mother of five, was killed on June 12. The investigation revealed that she had allegedly been suspected of being involved in a shoplifting incident.

She was approached by the store’s manager who then went to make a phone call. However, instead of calling the police, the manager called a friend who was a former security guard and lived in near the store.


Surveillance footage, released by police, showed a man arrive within minutes of the call being made. He appears to talk to Varnado and the manager. 

“She didn’t deserve to be executed like that. He could have just held her for the police."

Then he throws Varnado to the ground and begins to shoot at her. The bullet struck Varnado in the head.


The victim was pronounced dead at the Mt. Sinai Hospital and an autopsy confirmed the cause of death was a gunshot wound. She allegedly had five boxes of leggings and a Black t-shirt in her possession at the time of her death.

Varnado’s family were shocked and heart broke. They demanded answers from both Walgreens and the police. 


“She didn’t deserve to be executed like that. He could have just held her for the police. He didn’t have to shoot her in her face. She didn’t have no weapon,” said Varnado’s sister April Reed.

It is not the first time the man accused of killing the mom of five has claimed to be a policeman. According to CBS Chicago, the man was arrested for threatening a woman after he claimed to be a cop last summer.


Last year, a similar story unfolded when a young black girl was rushed to the hospital after she was shocked with a taser for allegedly shoplifting. The 11-year-old was apparently walking suspiciously around a store in Cincinnati, Ohio, on August 6.

An off-duty officer suspected that the girl was using a backpack to store stolen items. The girl tried to flee and the officer decided to tase her.