Ohio Mom Heartbroken After Finding Her 2-Month-Old Baby 'Lifeless' at Daycare

Mary Scott
Jun 24, 2019
08:02 P.M.
Share this pen

An Ohio mom is inconsolable after she says her two-month-old daughter was lifeless when she picked her up from a home daycare on Tuesday, June 18.


Taylor Bush told News 5 Cleveland that she dropped off her four children, including two-month-old Di'Yanni L. Griffin, at Nana’s Home Daycare on Tuesday morning.


By 2 pm, the mother said she texted the daycare provider that she was coming to pick up her daughter; the daycare provider said she wasn’t in, but her sister was, according to the outlet.

'I begged the hospital to keep working on her because they already pronounced her dead.'

The sister greeted Taylor at the door with Di’Yanni and gave her the first hint that all was not well with the infant, the station reported.

“I knock on the door, go in there -- she told me my baby was breathing heavy,” Taylor recalled. “I say, ‘Why didn't you call?’ She had no answer.”


The mum-of-four, who lives in the unit above the daycare, said she was on her way upstairs when she realized Di’Yanni was not responding to her.

“Every time I get my daughter, [I say] ‘hey pretty, how you doing?’” Taylor recounted in tears. “I look now; I’m talking to her [and] she’s not responding to me at all.”

Taylor said she ran back to the daycare to ask the daycare provider’s sister for help, but while she called 911 and was trying to perform CPR on Di’Yanni, the sister was calling the daycare provider.


An ambulance eventually came and took Taylor and Di’Yanni to the hospital, but it was already late.

“They could not find a pulse for my daughter at all. I begged them; I begged the hospital to keep working on her because they already pronounced her dead. I begged them to keep working on my baby, because I couldn't cope with the words, 'She was gone.'"


Taylor told the station that the daycare provider showed no remorse when she returned to pick up her boys. Now, Taylor is left in despair as she struggles to come to terms with the loss of the daughter she always wanted.

'ODJFS would make the final determination on whether to suspend Nana’s Home Daycare license'

“I’m still feeling like I just wanna wake up and this be a dream,” she sobbed. “I had three boys, and I finally got my daughter. I honestly thought that I couldn’t have a girl and I’m just broken.”


The police are reportedly investigating little Di’Yanni’s death, and authorities say preliminary reports indicate that the child died from natural causes, News 5 reported.

State inspection reports of the daycare, however, show that the establishment is non-compliant in at least 20 areas including a lack of current infant and child CPR certification and having a “contaminated” sandbox.


In a statement published by News 5, the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services promised to investigate the matter and suspend the daycare’s license if need be.

“County JFS agencies are responsible for inspections of in-home child care, with oversight by ODJFS. The county agency is conducting an investigation and actively working with child protective services and law enforcement. ODJFS would make the final determination on whether to suspend Nana’s Home Daycare license if the county agency recommends suspension.”

The daycare owner, who has since been identified as Danielle Townsend, however, insists that Di’Yanni was alive while in her sister’s care, reported Fox 8.

“My sister calls me and says, 'Call her mother,’” Danielle told the station. “I said, ‘Well, her mother just texted me; what's wrong?’ She said, ‘The baby is breathing fast.’”


The information in this article is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, and images contained on news.AmoMama.com, or available through news.AmoMama.com is for general information purposes only. news.AmoMama.com does not take responsibility for any action taken as a result of reading this article. Before undertaking any course of treatment please consult with your healthcare provider.