A Minnesota resident almost lost her pet cat when the feline found itself trapped in the washing machine. The cat somehow managed to survive the ordeal and its owner is sharing how.
Stefani Carroll-Kirchoff is the owner of Felix a one-year-old cat. Last week, she decided to do some laundry and she usually makes it a point to always check the washer and dryer to ensure that Felix and none of her other two cats end up inside.
However, in this instance, she fetched more clothing to load into the washing machine and shut its door without thinking twice about it. Carroll-Kirchoff then set the laundry to express wash, which involves warm water, and a cold rinse.
When the cycle was done 35-minutes later, she came back to take out the laundry but surprisingly found the clothes were still very wet. Not thinking much about it she was just about to shut the door again when she saw a single white paw.
"After this has happened, I'm going to find a way to give back."
The little paw was sticking out from the wet laundry. Reaching in she found Felix who had somehow wandered into the machine while it was left open.
Acting quickly, the cat’s owner called her father who rushed them to the Animal Emergency and Referral Center in Minnesota. At the center, a veterinarian examined Felix and found out the cat had lost its vision and had pneumonia from all the water his lungs.
Despite this, Felix survived and Carroll-Kirchoff revealed that he is doing much better. The pet can now see and has started eating but he’s still on oxygen.
The veterinarian informed Felix’s owner that he would fully recover but Carroll-Kirchoff still blames herself. She confessed: "I've been in shock the last few days. I mean, this is going to haunt me for the rest of my life."
Maintaining Felix’s medical bills led to Carroll-Kirchoff's daughter, Asha Carroll McCullough, starting a GoFundMe account. So far, they’ve raised more than $12,000 of their $15,000 goal in five days!
Carroll-Kirchoff is employed at a pet grooming salon and has been a cat owner for 11 years. She also volunteers at a wildlife rehabilitation center when she has free time.
Speaking about how the ordeal has changed her she said: "It's given me a reason to fight harder for animals and their well-being.” She added: "After this has happened, I'm going to find a way to give back."
In Illinois, a pet snake named Penelope left her home and wandered off a few houses down. There she slithered into a washing machine and was also put through a cycle.
Police Officer Pedro Carrasco and Animal Control Warden Jason Pound were called to the neighbors home when the pet corn snake was found alive in the machine by Sanela Kamencic. Penelope was returned to her 12-year-old owner and reportedly "smelled like Downy."