Jussie Smollett Is Not Going to Appear in Final Season of 'Empire', Says Fox Boss
Fox Boss finally cleared the air regarding the rumors surrounding Jussie Smollett's possible return in the Final Season of "Empire."
Following a lot of controversy over the return of Jussie Smollett to the final season of "Empire," Fox boss Michael Thorn finally gave a definite answer, stating that the actor would not be coming back.
Jussie, who has been in a bitter case with the law following an alleged hate crime hoax he perpetuated with two of his friends, was cut off from the "Empire" series towards the end of the fifth season amidst lots of controversies.
Jussie Smollett leaves Leighton Criminal Courthouse after his court appearance in Chicago, Illinois | Photo: Getty Images
However, In December 2019, talks about the Jamal Lyon character returning to the final season of the show was awash the media when showrunner Brett Mahoney revealed that there was a possible return of Smollett to the show.
Following this revelation, while speaking to TVLine, Fox entertainment boss dispelled it, saying that the decision to not have Smollett back was the best option for the show. He said:
"There were a number of factors that went into the decision not to bring him back... As hard as a decision as that was, for us — and when I say us, I mean the network, the studio, and the producers — it felt like it was in the best interests of the show and the cast."
Entertainment President of Fox Broadcasting Co. Michael Thorn attends the Beverly Hills 90210 Peach Pit Pop-Up on August 03, 2019 in Los Angeles, California | Photo: Getty Images
Michael also expressed hope that the lawsuit against the actor by the Chicago police department will not detract from the final season of the show as the case was more significant than the actor himself.
An Illinois Judge asked Google to turn over one year of Smollett's data to a special prosecutor.
This decision reflects that of Lee Daniels, the creator of the show who tweeted early last year that the actor would not be returning for the final season after reports of his potential return made the rounds.
Jussie Smollett speaks with members of the media after his court appearance at Leighton Courthouse in Chicago, Illinois | Photo: Getty Images
"This is not factual. Jussie will NOT be returning to Empire."
In January 2019, Jussie Smollett claimed that two men attacked him outside his apartment in what he believes was a hate crime.
Upon investigation by the police, they discovered that the supposed crime was a hoax conceived by Smollett and charged him with making a false police report.
The charges were subsequently dropped, but the scandal remained, and it seems to have put an end to the actor's run on the "Empire" show.
While it seemed all was in the clear for Smollet, an Illinois Judge asked Google to turn over one year of Smollett's data to a special prosecutor.
Jussie Smollett poses for a booking photo after turning himself into the Chicago Police Department in Chicago, Illinois | Photo: Getty Images
This order is to investigate how Jussie's case was handled and the decision to end the case against the wishes of the police department.
Currently, the "Empire" actor is facing a civil suit from the city that demands reimbursement for the cost of investigating his reported attack.