The Connecticut Governor confirmed that a six-week-old baby died after contracting the coronavirus. The first pediatric fatality in the state, the infant is reportedly also the youngest "anywhere" to have passed due to the virus.
Ned Lamont, Governor of Connecticut, shared the "heartbreaking" news on social media that the state suffered its first pediatric fatality on Wednesday.
Illustration of blood drawn to test for the COVID-19 coronavirus. | Source: Pixabay.
The tragic death took place in the Hartford area after the 6-week-old baby arrived at a hospital late last week. Unresponsive, when brought in, medical personnel couldn't revive the infant despite their best efforts.
When tests confirmed that the baby had contracted the coronavirus, Governor Lamont wrote on Twitter:
“This is absolutely heartbreaking. We believe this is one of the youngest lives lost anywhere due to complications relating to COVID-19.”
Illustration of the global coronavirus pandemic. | Source: Pixabay.
The death of the infant reiterates the importance of self-isolation and following social distancing rules set out by authorities as Governor Lamont added that the coronavirus hits our "most fragile without mercy."
Governor Lamont went on to stress that other people's lives depend on everyone complying with the rules and limiting exposure, as he wrote in another update:
"Your life and the lives of others could literally depend on it. Our prayers are with the family at this difficult time.”
It is unknown whether the infant had any underlying medical conditions, and according to reports, the death toll in the state is now at 69 with 3,128 confirmed cases.
However, there are also cases with positive outcomes, like 1-year-old Natalie Green, who is back to being a happy little girl again.
Natalie's mom, Clara Green, told TODAY that she is a "sickly kid," so they didn't worry too much when she developed a low-grade fever.
The 1-year-old had no cough and no trouble breathing, but then her fever spiked, and she started having seizures before becoming unresponsive.
After dialing 911, the emergency response team arrived in protective wear before transporting Natalie to a hospital where they discovered her diagnosis through a process of elimination.
While in the hospital, Natalie's condition stabilized, and doctors sent her home. Last weekend, the tot's fever broke, and her health started improving.
However, it's not just the very young who have shown the ability to recover from the disease. Recently, a 101-year-old man in Italy also regained his health after contracting the coronavirus.
Admitted to a hospital in Rimini, Italy, last week, the man who is only known as Mr. P. Guerre, bounced back from the virus and is back home with his family.
John Travolta's Late Wife Kelly Got Pregnant at 47 & Risked Her Life to Carry Her 'Miracle' Baby
April 14, 2022
Mom Told She's Having a Miscarriage Doesn't Believe Doctors, Gives Birth to Beautiful Twins
February 24, 2022
Woman Makes a Promise to Her Dying Husband, Gives Birth to His Twins 3 Years after His Death
May 19, 2022
Doctors Claim Boy Only Has a Concussion, Mom's Instinct Leads to Another Examination That Helps Save His Life
May 06, 2022