youtube.com/Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Source: youtube.com/Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty

Woman Wakes up from a Coma after COVID-19 Complications and Discovers She Has Given Birth

Jené Liebenberg
May 29, 2021
01:20 P.M.
Share this pen

Szilvia Bedo-Nagy, a Hungarian native, was in an induced coma for more than a month. She woke up to the news that she had become a mother to a little girl.


Szilvia Bedo-Nagy's journey into motherhood is a unique one. She wasn't conscious when her daughter, Napsugar, was welcomed into the world because she was in an induced coma due to COVID-19.

Bedo-Nagy was in the final stages of her pregnancy at the end of 2020 when she contracted the novel virus and pneumonia, which led to her being hospitalized and placed under an induced coma.

Screenshot of video showing woman who gave birth while in a coma. | Source: YouTube/ Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty



Bedo-Nagy woke up a month later, pointing to her stomach to ask about her baby. The doctors then informed her that her daughter had been born and that she was healthy.

Baby Napsugar, which is Hungarian for "sunshine", was born via c-section while the mother was still in a coma. Bedo-Nagy told the story of the unique birth and the moment she gained consciousness saying:

"I had no idea what was going on. I was pointing to my belly to ask when I gave birth ... Then the doctor said the baby had been born a while ago."



Napsugar was being watched by her father, Jozsef Bedo while her mother was still in the hospital. Bedo was able to communicate with his wife while she was still on the ventialtor as she used her eyes.

Townsend's lungs deteriorated to such a degree that she needed a double lung transplant.

The husband and wife were able to go home with their little girl. The family of three is now happily living at home where Bedo-Nagy is still recovering from her COVID-19 ordeal.



The Hungarian family is not the only one that met their newest addition in an unconventional manner due to COVID-19. 32-year-old Kelsey Townsend from Wisonson also gave birth while in a coma due to the virus.

This new mother had to wait three months before she could hold her baby and meet her daughter, Lucy for the first time. Townsend was ecstatic to be able to hold her daughter for the first time saying:

“I have been waiting for a long time to meet her, and I was overjoyed.”



Townsend's battle with COVID-19 was long and difficult. Her husband shared that he received many phone calls from the doctors saying that the young mother would not make it through the night.

Townsend's lungs deteriorated to such a degree that she needed a double lung transplant but overnight her body started repairing itself. She is now off of the transplant list and on the mend.


Serena Torres also shares a similar story. She was admitted to the hospital with a serious case of COVID-19 which resulted in all of her major organs failing and the doctors having to do an emergency c-section to deliver her baby.

Torres was also placed under a coma and when she gained consciousness she had to spend another long three months in the hospital to fully recover from the virus. She was able to spend her first Mother's Day with her baby.


We at news.AmoMama.com do our best to give you the most updated news regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, but the situation is constantly changing. We encourage readers to refer to the online updates from CDС, WHO, or Local Health Departments to stay updated.Take care!