When a toddler from the United Kingdom saw his mother fall, he reacted in a way that surprised people. He managed to seek help, and his impressive knowledge came from an unexpected place.
Parents often criticize their children for the amount of time they spend in front of the television screen or watching videos online. Kids are told they are wasting their time, but there are a few remarkable exceptions.
A three-year-old's screen time came in handy when he was home alone with his mom and she lost consciousness. Thanks to something he saw on a YouTube cartoon, he knew exactly what to do to assist her and get help. Read their inspiring story!
Someone dials the UK's emergency phone number. | Source: Shutterstock
HIS MOTHER FELL TO THE GROUND
When Kayleigh Boffey went upstairs to fetch her son a fresh pair of clothing, she took a dangerous tumble and landed on the ground, hitting her head as a result.
She was unconscious, and her three-year-old son was the only person who could help. The mother explained:
"I remember shutting the stair gate, and the next minute I knew I woke up speaking to someone on the phone, and then the police were in the house."
Despite his young age, the toddler acted in the best way possible. He loved watching Robocar Poli, a YouTube series about a fire engine, ambulance, and police car that respond to emergencies—little did he know how much the series would help him.
THE BOY'S REMARKABLE RESPONSE
The South Korean animation series taught Thomas Boffey a few valuable skills that children are usually unaware of. Instead of crying in panic or freezing from the shock, he found a phone and called 999 (Britain's equivalent to 911).
The three-year-old told emergency operator Morgane Amphlett what happened and informed her that his "mommy fell upstairs." Amphlett instructed the youngster to hold his mom's hand and speak to her while help was on the way.
The mother, who had regained consciousness, was in pain and unable to move as she waited for the ambulance. Her brave son also managed to find a way over his childproof baby gate before locating their house key.
SHE GOT THE HELP SHE NEEDED
Thomas was able to open the door for the emergency workers who could tend to his mother in a timely fashion. Kayleigh was proud of her son and grateful he got her the help she needed.
She was treated for hip, shoulder, knee, and ankle injuries in the hospital. Her fall was due to the discomfort caused by an enlarged spleen and hernia.
Fortunately, the mother was on the road to recovery. She expressed:
"He's like a mini superhero and, especially for his age, it's really amazing how he knew what to do, and he understood and didn't get scared."
TEACH KIDS HOW TO RESPOND IN AN EMERGENCY
The little hero saved the day, and his actions taught other parents an important lesson. Kayleigh gave the West Midlands Police permission to share the audio clip detailing the encounter between Thomas and Amphlett.
While the youngster was slightly confused, his swift actions and ability to call emergency services made a significant difference. Kayleigh hoped her story would show parents the importance of teaching kids how to respond to emergencies.
"I want people to know what my son did and how important it is to learn kids what to do if anything happens in an emergency."
THE PUBLIC WAS AMAZED
Most average three-year-olds would not be able to respond similarly, and Thomas deserved all the praise he received. People were impressed by his quick thinking and actions, and many applauded his bravery.
When his mother was taken to the hospital, police drove him to his great-grandmother Rita Waldron. Officers allowed him to control the flashy lights as a reward for his heroic deed.
Click here for another story about an inspiring young hero. His brave actions saved the life of a woman who was kidnapped by her ex.
The information in this article is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, and images contained on news.AmoMama.com, or available through news.AmoMama.com is for general information purposes only. news.AmoMama.com does not take responsibility for any action taken as a result of reading this article. Before undertaking any course of treatment please consult with your healthcare provider.