logo
HomeNews
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor | Source: Getty Images
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor | Source: Getty Images

Ex-Prince Andrew Arrested on His Birthday – What We Know

Dorcus Osongo
Feb 19, 2026
06:34 A.M.

The former prince has been in the spotlight for troubling reasons, and now, even on his birthday, his situation has taken another turn.

Advertisement

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested on his 66th birthday. Thames Valley Police took him into custody, where he now remains detained. Officers have also been searching properties in Berkshire and Norfolk after formally opening an investigation.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor at St. Paul's Church on June 27, 2017, in London, England | Source: Getty Images

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor at St. Paul's Church on June 27, 2017, in London, England | Source: Getty Images

The 66-year-old was detained on suspicion of misconduct in public office following what authorities described as a thorough assessment of the allegation. The investigation is now active.

Earlier in the day, vehicles believed to be unmarked police cars were spotted at Sandringham in Norfolk, where Andrew has been residing since leaving his 30-room mansion in Windsor Great Park. Searches are also being carried out at addresses in Berkshire.

Advertisement

In an official statement, Thames Valley Police did not identify him by name, instead stating that a man in his 60s had been arrested.

The force said, "We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active, so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court."

Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright added, "Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office. It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence."

Wright acknowledged the high level of public attention surrounding the matter and said further updates would be shared when appropriate.

This marks the first time Andrew has been arrested. In the past, he has faced numerous allegations linked to his association with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, all of which he has consistently and strenuously denied.

Advertisement

Still, Andrew has become the first senior member of the royal family in modern times to be taken into custody. Previously, Thames Valley Police confirmed it was examining claims that Jeffrey trafficked a woman to the UK for a sexual encounter involving Andrew.

Investigators were also looking into allegations that, during his tenure as the UK's trade envoy, he may have passed sensitive information to the convicted pedophile.

His detention also comes shortly after the Metropolitan Police announced that it had begun "initial inquiries" connected to allegations concerning close protection officers who were once assigned to Andrew.

In a statement, they said it had "not identified any wrongdoing" but noted that "initial enquiries into these specific allegations have begun so we can establish the facts."

In October 2025, King Charles III moved to formally remove Andrew from his remaining royal roles and distinctions. He was stripped of his titles, styles, and honorary positions, meaning he is no longer recognized as a Prince or the Duke of York.

Advertisement

He also lost the use of his HRH style, effectively leaving him with the status of a private citizen. Despite these changes, Andrew remains eighth in line to the throne.

Charles also ordered that two of Andrew's senior honors be revoked. His appointment as a Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, awarded in April 2006, was cancelled and his name removed from the Order's register.

In addition, his position as a Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order, granted in February 2011, was annulled, with his name likewise erased from the official records of the Order.

Meanwhile, Andrew's children Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie retained their titles within the royal family. Their places in the line of succession also stayed the same with Beatrice in ninth and and Eugenie 12th place.

Andrew's ex-wife, Sarah Ferguson, was directly affected by the changes. She moved out of Royal Lodge and had to arrange her own living situation. Following Andrew's loss of his Duke of York title in October 2025, she also lost her courtesy royal divorcee title as a duchess and reverted to her maiden name.

Advertisement

Although the public had long referred to her as "Fergie," royal commentator Richard Palmer noted that losing the title would likely affect her public standing and influence, given that she had actively used the duchess title.

Even before formal measures were imposed on Andrew, Prince William had reportedly been urging his father, Charles, to take decisive action. In November 2019, Andrew sat down for a televised interview with the BBC's "Newsnight," attempting to present his version of events amid growing controversy.

The appearance, however, was widely viewed as a misstep and intensified scrutiny rather than easing it. Following the broadcast, William is said to have spoken to his father, urging swift action.

He was reportedly concerned not only about public reaction but also about how the situation could affect his own future within the monarchy.

A source said, "Once you understand the fact that everything that happens in the here and now, affects everything in the future, William’s future, it is very easy to put yourself in his shoes. He never much liked his uncle and wanted him out of the picture immediately before the rot further set in."

Advertisement

The insider added that William believed Andrew had brought the crisis upon himself and should handle the consequences privately, away from the rest of the family. Despite William's earlier appeals, Charles remained reluctant to take action.

The situation escalated after court documents were released in connection with a 2015 New York defamation case brought by Andrew's accuser, Virginia Giuffre, against Ghislaine Maxwell. Ghislaine was Andrew's former associate who had trafficked underage girls for Jeffrey.

The papers included allegations that Andrew had engaged in "daily massages" during repeated visits to Jeffrey's Florida home. The former prince was also accused of committing "acts of sexual abuse" and participating in an "underage orgy."

Following the release of these documents, William renewed his calls to the King, urging that Andrew be stripped of his titles and removed from the royal family entirely to safeguard the reputation of the monarchy.

A source close to William said, "The Prince of Wales was adamant the whole episode would never go away and, despite how others may have felt, there was absolutely no upside in Andrew being protected."

Advertisement

The insider added, "His view was crystal clear, Andrew shouldn't be anywhere near the family under any circumstances, not by association, not at family functions, anywhere. Every single time there was a new revelation, which no one knew when it was coming or what the next one would be, it was a stain on all of the family."

William's concerns appeared increasingly prescient as new information continued to emerge over the years. In 2025, reports emerged that Andrew may have asked a former Met Police close protection officer to conduct checks on Virginia in 2011.

The Metropolitan Police carried out a further assessment on the matter. However, the review found no new evidence of criminal activity or misconduct and concluded that, without additional information, no further action would be taken.

Authorities emphasized that any relevant new evidence, including material emerging from the US, would be carefully assessed.

In the wake of news that Thames Valley Police was investigating Andrew for the allegations he has now been arrested over, William's long-standing wish was finally fulfilled.

Advertisement

A palace spokesperson said that if approached by the police, they would provide support as expected, insofar as the accusations pertain to "Mr. Mountbatten-Windsor."

Russell Myers, author of "William and Catherine: The Monarchy's New Era: The Inside Story," described the palace's statement as a landmark moment.

By publicly referring to Andrew as Mr. Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and treating him as a private citizen, the royal family signaled that he would no longer be shielded by the institution. Myers added that this decisive step was overdue and should have been taken years earlier.

The statement from Buckingham Palace came just hours after William and his wife, Catherine Middleton, issued their first comment following the release of the Epstein files. Their message was shared via a spokesperson, who said, "I can confirm the Prince and Princess have been deeply concerned by the continuing revelations. Their thoughts remain focused on the victims."

Advertisement
Advertisement
Related posts