Hyper-sensitivity to pain is only one of them.
It has been found that fibromyalgia ranks second among the most frequently occurring diseases that implicating muscles and bones.
However, it is at risk of going undiagnosed as there is no single test that has been universally accepted for the detection of fibromyalgia.
This makes it all the more important to be aware of the distinct symptoms that might be experienced, which could indicate fibromyalgia or fibrositis.
The Hearty Soul shared a list of the most common symptoms of the illness, apart from hypersensitivity to pain.
- Symptoms related to the muscles:
- Frequent twitching of the muscles
- Painful muscle stiffness in the morning
- Swelling in specific areas
- Change of breast texture, sensitivity, and pain attributed to fibrocystic breasts
- Symptoms affecting sleep:
- Constant fatigue owing to unsatisfactory sleep
- Experiencing frequent sleep disturbances
- Grinding teeth while being in deep sleep
- Symptoms related to allergies and sinus problems:
- Allergic reactions to mold and yeast
- Irritably itchy ears
- Mucus formation in the nose
- Severe pain in the ears
- Breathing issues
- Symptoms affecting the hormones and reproductive system
- Experiencing postmenstrual syndrome, including acne, bloating, fatigue and moodiness
- Loss of sexual appetite in daily life
- Experiencing impotence
- Pain and irregularities in the menstrual cycle
- Symptoms related to the digestive tract
- A throbbing pain around the pelvic area
- Frequent feeling of bloating
- Pain resulting from cramps in the abdomen
- Nausea due to indigestion
- Experiencing irritable bowel syndrome
- Symptoms affecting the health of the heart
- Irregularities in the heart rate
- Chest pain resembling a cardiac arrest
- Pain resulting from Tietze syndrome, which occurs when there is inflammation of the cartilage between the breastbone and a rib.
Apart from these specific symptoms, other regular indicators include frequent migraines, cravings and the occurrence of fibromyalgia in the family.