Diners discovered their dishes were washed in a puddle on the street
A restaurant in a Malaysian tourist hotspot has invited the wrath of patrons after a video showed plates being washed on the street.
Daily Mail reported that the video of the staff from Raj’s Banana Leaf Restaurant, Kuala Lumpur, washing the plates went viral.
Diners were shocked to discover that their dishes were washed in a puddle on the street at a popular restaurant in Malaysian hotspot.
The restaurant is located in Kuala Lumpur’s affluent neighborhood of Bangsar.
The staff is seen squatting over a pothole on the street, scrubbing and rinsing food trays with the dirty water.
Though the popular food joint issued an apology and blamed the incident on new staff, it was shut down by the authorities.
The restaurant told its customers that it was not a common practice and that those who were seen in the video were ‘newly recruited staff.’
Apologizing for the ‘unfortunate incident,’ the restaurant wrote on Facebook that hygiene and cleanliness were its top priority. The post said that strict action had been taken against those involved and promised that such incidents will not repeat in the future.
However, Coconuts.co reported that the authorities shut down the restaurant indefinitely after discovery inadequate washing facilities.
Chandrakant Patel, Deputy Director of the Environmental Health Department, confirmed that the outlet will be closed until further notice.
He added that a representative from Raj’s Banana Leaf admitted to discrepancies in handling its operations.
The restaurant had earlier passed with an A- rating and cleanliness checks had shown that it was in good condition. However, Patel said that it did not have proper washing facilities behind the kitchen.
The diner had offered a free ‘Buka Puasa’ dinner on May 31, 2018, as a way to apologize and request the guests for a continued patronage. It was highly unlikely that the dinner would have been allowed as it was closed down.