At least 5 dead in Maryland shooting

Manuela Cardiga
Jun 29, 2018
12:21 A.M.
Share this pen

Horror attack in Maryland leaves at least 5 dead and several wounded


A newspaper in Annapolis, Maryland was attacked by a lone gunman who fired through the Capital Gazette's glass door on the 28th of June 2018, reported Reuters.

The attacker has been taken into custody by the Annapolis Police, but no motive for the shooting has been ascertained.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is in situ assisting local authorities but at the moment the shooting is being considered a local incident, with no indications that it has any terrorist overtones.

The suspect in custody is a man his 20s who has not been identified. Steve Schuh, Anne Arundel County Executive, announced that the suspect is now being interrogated by authorities.


“There is nothing more terrifying than hearing multiple people get shot while you’re under your desk and then hear the gunman reload.”

Phil Davis, Reuters, 28th of June 2018.

A first-hand account of the atrocity was given by Phil Davis, a court and crime reporter at the Capital Gazette. Davis posted an on-going commentary of the incident on Twitter, sharing the horror of cowering under his desk and hearing the gunman reloading to fire again.

Davis tweeted that a single shooter “shot multiple people at my office, some of whom are dead.” He later informed his followers that he was safe, and being interviewed by the Police.


Maryland Governor Larry Hogan announced that there were no confirmed details of the tragedy. but that several casualties had been reported.


Anne Arundel County police spokesman, Lieutenant Ryan Frashure reported that the Police are searching the building for explosives, and investigating the possibility of the involvement of other culprits in the incident.

In response to the incident, Law enforcement in Baltimore and New York City have deployed forces protectively at the major media outlets in those cities.

President Donald Trump is aboard Air Force One but he has been briefed on the incident.

White House spokeswoman Lindsay Walters announced that “Our thoughts and prayers are with all that are affected,”