logo

Man has both legs and parts of his hands amputated after being licked by his dog

Rodolfo Vieira
Aug 01, 2018
01:45 P.M.
Share this pen
FacebookFacebookTwitterTwitterLinkedInLinkedInEmailEmail

Greg Manteufel, a man from West Bend, Wisconsin, had to have his four limbs amputated after being affected by a bacteria in his dog's saliva.

Advertisement

The 48-year-old had always been a very healthy individual but that didn't stop the bacteria, identified as capnocytophaga, from spreading a particularly severe and life-threatening infection throughout his body.

According to Fox 6 Now, Greg contracted the incredibly rare blood infection after being licked by his pet dog. Initially, he believed that he just had the flu but the diagnosis turned out to be way scarier than he expected.

Read more on our Twitter account @amomama_usa.

Advertisement

Dawn Manteufel, his wife, claimed that the disease 'hit him with a vengeance' and that he had bruises all over his body. Dawn said:

'Looked like somebody beat him up with a baseball bat.'

As a result of the infection, Greg's blood pressure dropped, lowering the circulation and reducing the flow of blood in his limbs, causing them to turn black.

Advertisement

Half of his forearms and his legs had to be surgically removed and doctors believe that he will need extensive repairs on his nose. The family has now set up a GoFundMe campaign in order to help cover the costs of Greg's medical procedures.

Advertisement

Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, a specialist in infectious diseases, said that the infection triggered a 'very severed response' in Greg's body, which is something that practically never happens.

Munoz-Price added that 99 percent of people who own dogs or even interact with them are extremely unlikely to have the same issue as Greg and that it is all up to chance.

Advertisement

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, also known as CDC, states that symptoms can appear within the first three to five days, but it can also take up to two weeks for the symptoms to present themselves.

Among the listed symptoms are swelling, redness, fever, diarrhea, vomiting, headaches and muscle joint. People infected with the bacteria might also end up with blisters around the bite wound.

Advertisement
info
Please fill in your e-mail so we can share with you our top stories!
By subscribing, you agree to our Privacy Policy
Advertisement
Related posts

Inside Neil Cavuto's Health Issues That Resulted in Open-Heart Surgery and His Recent Absence On-Screen

February 10, 2022

Terminally Ill Man Is Cured While Restoring an Abandoned Church Building

February 25, 2022

5-Year-Old Brother Carries His Little Sister's Coffin to Say Goodbye to Her Forever

April 17, 2022

Farrah Fawcett Had Exhibited Painful Symptoms for a Long Time before Finding Out She Had Cancer

February 18, 2022

Parents Say Goodbye to Their Baby and Turn off Life Support, He Starts Breathing Immediately

March 02, 2022

Man Hears His Dog Barking from Afar, Finds It Sitting near an Abandoned Baby – Story of the Day

March 27, 2022

Lonely Young Woman Suspects Her Son Is Not Her Biological Child and Takes a DNA Test – Story of the Day

March 19, 2022

Inside Bishop T D Jakes's $5,5M Home Where He Lives with His Wife of 39 Years

April 21, 2022

Every Day Woman Sees Old Man with Boy on the Shore, Once They Don’t Show Up and She Gets Worried — Story of the Day

April 25, 2022

Bob Saget's Longtime Home Gets $770K Price Cut – Nobody Is Ready to Buy House He Lived in until His Tragic Death

October 16, 2022

Rich Woman Tends to Homeless Man, One Day Notices He Has the Same Birthmark as Her — Story of the Day

January 28, 2022

Homeless Old Lady Takes Down 3 Thieves at Once after They Threaten Little Boy's Life — Story of the Day

January 25, 2022

Charlie Sheen Broke Engagement to Brett Rossi for His Kids ⁠— She Claimed He Forced Her to End a Pregnancy

March 23, 2022

6-Year-Old Schoolboy Is Shamed as Punishment for Being Late, Mom Accidentally Finds Out about This One Day

April 21, 2022