Son of pastor killed by snake gets bitten by deadly snake in same situation
Cody Coots is an American snake-handling pastor whose father died four years ago after being bitten by a snake.
An interview with Cody and his family was recently shared to Barcroft TV on YouTube. It also includes the shocking moment when a rattlesnake bites Cody.
Follow our Twitter account @amomama_usa for similar stories and scroll down to learn Cody's fate.
The Full Gospel Tabernacle In Jesus' Name church is situated in Middlesboro, Kentucky, and they've built their belief system around Mark 16:18.
The scripture says:
"They will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them."
Cody appeared fine after he was bit, but a few minutes later began slurring over his words and losing his balance.
He told his followers to take him to a nearby mountaintop, believing that God will determine his fate. Cody said he would survive the bite if God willed it so.
Instead of obeying his commands, a member of his church took him to the hospital instead. Cody's doctor confirmed that he would have died if the bite was left untreated.
Barcroft TV also interviewed Cody's wife, Brittany, who admits that the snake-handling is not her favorite part of the service.
She fears for Cody's life and what would happen to her and the kids if he died from a snake bite. She also added that Cody prioritizes the snakes above his family.
Handling snake as a part of religious services have been around for more than a century, and many churches follow the same principles.
Pastor Mack Wolford from the Full Gospel Apostolic House of the Lord Jesus, an Appalachian Pentecostal sect, also interpreted Mark 16:18 literally.
Back in 2011, Wolford died eight hours after being bitten by a timber rattlesnake. Wolford refused medical treatment, and his followers respected his wishes.
In other recent news, a dog saved the life of a 7-year-old girl. Molly was playing in the backyard when an Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake nearly bit her.
Her grandmother saw the dog fighting with the snake and rushed out to bring Molly to safety. The dog was bitten three times and given nine vails of antiserum. Read more here.