'Microwave Challenge' Has People Masterfully Sliding to Nail the Latest Viral Video Trend
There’s a new challenge going viral named after a common kitchen appliance, which expects a person to spin slowly like an inanimate food item cooking on a turning microwave plate.
The “Microwave Challenge” went viral on the app TikTok when one of its users @djtaylort shared a video he created with the caption, “Can we make this a chain please?”
Ever since I threaded a TikTok explainer people are always hitting me up to explain some weird meme. With that in mind, let me introduce you to the MICROWAVE CHALLENGE. pic.twitter.com/bwdoLcSsMF— Sally Elshorafa (@sallykuchar) March 20, 2019
The mechanics are simple, the participant will film himself or herself slowly spinning on the ground mimicking cup or bowl sitting on a microwave turntable.
The tricky part is that the spinning or sliding has to be done to the music, “Slow Dancing in the Dark” by American artist Joji, and it must start at a specific point of the song where a “ding” is heard as if signaling the beginning of the cooking process.
Can you do it? https://t.co/wbolc2lAsF— Metro Lifestyle (@MetroUK_Life) March 19, 2019
Many tips and tutorials to get the move just right have been circulating on the net. One such suggestion is to try it on a smooth surface.
Internet challenges are all the rage these days, and participants are being warned about attempting to try all of them because they can put the challengers in dangerous circumstances.
Two teens from Indianapolis thought it would be funny to try the “Hot Water Challenge”, which involves pouring hot water on a sleeping victim, or drinking boiling water through a straw.
Thinking about participating in the #HotWaterChallenge? Don’t. Jefferson Burn Center’s Dr. Hughes weighs in with some facts: Water boils at 212 F, but, 150 F water can cause a full thickness burn quickly. Also, drinking hot liquids can damage the esophagus or trachea. pic.twitter.com/nrySxi5Lov— Jefferson Health (@TJUHospital) July 30, 2018
But everything went terribly wrong when one of them, Kyland, suffered second-degree burns after hot water was poured on him. He shared,
“And then I looked down at my chest. My skin just fell off my chest, and then I looked in the mirror, and I had skin falling off here and on my face.”
His mother, Andrea wants everyone to know about the dangers of the viral internet challenges and hopes to prevent more accidents such as this in the future.