Donald Trump Confirms California Garlic Festival Shooter Is Still on the Loose
On Sunday night, another mass shooting occurred in the US during the final day of the Gilroy Garlic Festival in Gilroy, California. Now the president has given an update.
Over the weekend, an innocent festival became the scene of a crime when a shooter opened fire at the Gilroy Garlic Festival. Reports are revealing that fifteen people were injured in the shooting.
In an effort to keep the masses informed, President Donald Trump took to Twitter to give an update. He wrote: "Law Enforcement is at the scene of shootings in Gilroy, California. Reports are that shooter has not yet been apprehended. Be careful and safe!"
During a night conference on the same day, Gilroy Police Chief Scot Smithee said an unidentified suspect was shot and killed by officers. The shooter was said to have cut through a fence to gain entry to the festival.
Smithee shared that authorities killed him in “less than a minute” after he began firing on with a rifle. The police chief also added that a second suspect could have been involved in the mass shooting in some way.
But currently, no one is in custody and a manhunt is underway. Smithee stated: “I have no idea what the motive is at this point,” and called the incident a “nightmare.”
California Governor Gavin Newsom also took to Twitter to share some information about the incident. He wrote: “This is nothing short of horrific. Tonight, CA stands with the Gilroy community."
Newsom also revealed that his office was “monitoring the situation closely.” He thanked police officers for their “efforts” in the case as the investigation continued.
A spokeswoman for the Santa Clara County Medical Center, Joy Alexiou, shared that the hospital was treating five patients who "generally" had gunshot wounds. The annual Gilroy Garlic Festival happens in the city around 30 miles southeast from San Jose and attracts around 100,000 people.
The three-day event was wrapping up on Sunday when gunshots rang out towards the end at around 5:41 p.m. Gilroy Police has cautioned people to stay away from the scene at Christmas Hill Park.
On Twitter, they informed people that the area was still being treated as an active crime scene. A witness and family reunification line is available by dialing 408-846-0583.
Earlier on City councilman, Dion Bracco shared that twelve people were injured.
The death toll currently sits at four including one of the shooters. Steven Romero, 6-years-old, was one of the three victims who were killed on the day.
His father Alberto Romero mourned him saying: "My son had his whole life to live and he was only 6. That's all I can say."
ⓘ NEWS.AMOMAMA.COM does not support or promote any kind of violence, self-harm, or abusive behavior. We raise awareness about these issues to help potential victims seek professional counseling and prevent anyone from getting hurt. NEWS.AMOMAMA.COM speaks out against the above mentioned and advocates for a healthy discussion about the instances of violence, abuse, sexual misconduct, animal cruelty, abuse etc. that benefits the victims. We also encourage everyone to report any crime incident they witness as soon as possible.