25 Facts about the 'Mask' Star Jim Carrey
Known as one of Hollywood's best comedians, Jim Carrey has had fans laughing for years. Here is a look at some facts about this iconic actor.
Canadian-American actor, James Eugene Carrey is known for being multi-talented. He has tried his hand at everything from acting, comedy, writing, and even art.
The hilarious comedian has earned a reputation for energetic slapstick performances with films like "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective," "Dumb and Dumber" and "The Mask" are some of his most revered. Here are 20 facts about Jim that fans might not know.
1. Carrey knew he wanted to be a comedian from a young age. When he was just 10-years-old he sent his resume to Carol Burnett.
2. The star also dropped out of high school at just 16-years-old.
3. No stranger to stunning audiences, the actor shocked everyone when he decided to wear just socks to the 20th anniversary special for The Comedy Store.
4. He does not come from a well off background. In fact, at one point his family lived in their car and trailer.
5. To make a living before Jim got famous, he worked with his family as janitors and security guards at a factory.
6. In 2000, Jim Carrey was engaged and ready to marry Renée Zellweger. However, their relationship broke down and ended before they could walk down the aisle.
7. The star who was born Canadian gained U.S. citizenship in October 2004. He currently holds dual citizen for both the United States and Canada.
8. When he was really young, Jim wore his tap shoes to bed in case his parents needed cheering up in the middle of the night.
9. His first stand-up routine, which was disastrous, saw Carrey don a yellow suit and tails that his mother made for him. The outfit resembled the one he would later wear in “Mask.”
10. Jim welcomed his first child into the world when he was 25-years-old. He shares his daughter, Jane Carrey with his first ex-wife Melissa Carrey. She was born on September 6, 1987.
11. In almost all his movies there is a variation of a bathroom scene and a car scene.
12. The star now owns a $25-million private plane.
13. Jim revealed that his character Joel in “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” is closer to his personality when he's not "on." He added that the film made him reflect on his past relationships and what caused them to fail.
14. He auditioned to play Farmer Ted in "Sixteen Candles" but was beaten out by actor Anthony Michael Hall.
15. Jim suffered from depression in the 1980s. At the time he was struggling to make it as a comedian.
16. When Tupac Shakur was in prison Jim wrote letters to him to make him laugh. Tupac later revealed that Jim was his favorite actor.
17. He bought a Harley Davidson motorcycle with a vanity license plate saying, "NO TAG" as a joke. However, he received numerous traffic tickets in the mail meant for other people because police officers write "no tag" in the license plate number slot on the ticket when the offending vehicle has no license plate.
18. Before dropping out of school, he was a straight-A student until he dropped out.
19. Him and his girlfriend Jenny McCarthy attended Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes's wedding.
20. He is Nicole Kidman's best male friend according to her.
21. Jack Nicholson once referred to Carrey as the "Jack Nicholson of the next generation".
22. He was a Royal Canadian Sea Cadet when he was a child.
23. He was 48 when he became a grandfather for the first time. His daughter Jane Carrey gave birth to her son Jackson Riley Santana on February 26, 2010.
24. According to Biography, in 1983, Jim wrote a cheque for $10 million dollars to himself. He post-dated 10 years later in the hopes that he would be able to cash it in by then. Jim later revealed he put the cheque in his father's pocket when he passed away.
25. Carrey is a lifelong fan of the Pink Panther movie series. His favorite character is Inspector Clouseau's helper Cato.