Jussie Smollett Might Be Back for Season Finale of 'Empire', Says Showrunner Brett Mahoney

Following his assault scandal that saw him ousted from the show, the 37-year-old actor may return for the season finale of " Empire" as revealed by showrunner Brett Mahoney.

Fans of Fox hit show "Empire" may get to see one of their favorite actors, Jussie Smollett, on the show again after the embattled actor was displaced from the series. 

Singer Jussie Smollett performs onstage at Troubadour on February | Photo: Getty Images

Singer Jussie Smollett performs onstage at Troubadour on February | Photo: Getty Images

This development was revealed as the franchise's showrunner, Brett Mahoney had a session with TV LINE.

"Empire" creator, Lee Daniels, previously stated that Smollett would not return to the show as his scandal was one of the reasons the series is being terminated at its sixth season."

Brett mentioned that there was a probability of bringing Smollett, who plays the role of "Jamal Lyon" back as he was a very vital part of the show, which premiered in 2015.

Brett Mahoney attends "Empire" season 5 premiere at Lafayette | Photo: Getty Images

Brett Mahoney attends "Empire" season 5 premiere at Lafayette | Photo: Getty Images

The Showrunner told TV LINE:

"It would be weird in my mind to end this family show and this family drama of which he was such a significant part of without seeing him. It's fair to say it's being discussed, but there's no plan as of yet to bring him back. There's been no decision made." 

Smollett's ousting from the "Empire" show was as a result of his indictment on charges of disorderly conduct.

This was after he filed a report that he was a victim of a homophobic and racist attack by two men in Chicago, of which investigations revealed to be false.

Although he pleaded not guilty and had charges against him dropped, the scandal's ripple effect saw him taken off the show. 

In fact, PEOPLE reported that "Empire" creator, Lee Daniels, previously stated that Smollett would not return to the show as his scandal was one of the reasons the series is being terminated at its sixth season.

The outlet further made it known that Fox network CEO Charlie Collie was in support of the creator's decision as he previously disclosed at the Fox's Television Critics Association tour. 

However, despite Smollett maintaining that he's innocent and having the charges against him dropped, the issue is far from over. 

According to BBC, authorities in Chicago are now suing to have the actor pay $130, 000 as the cost expended in police investigating his case. Reacting, Smollett took to litigation as well to counter the action.

As detailed by BBC, he accused the Chicago police of "substantial economic damages as well as reputational harm, humiliation, mental anguish, and extreme emotional distress" and now wants compensation. 

It is unclear if this development would affect his chances of returning to the show for its final season, but fans are definitely on the lookout for how it goes.

Related posts
Youtube/Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen GettyImages
TV Shows Nov 14, 2019
Vivica A Fox Addresses Jussie Smollett's Absence from 'Empire' and Appears to Hint the Actor May Return
Getty images
People Nov 21, 2019
Jussie Smollett Fights Back as He Files Suit against City of Chicago Following Alleged Hoax Attack
Getty Images
Celebs Sep 10, 2019
Love B Scott: Jussie & Jurnee Smollett Reportedly Making a Film about Falsely Accused Siblings
GettyImages/GlobalImagesUkraine
Celebs Oct 26, 2019
The Blast: Jussie Smollett Maintains His Innocence after Request to Toss Chicago Lawsuit Is Denied, Lawyer Says